NF7-M no POST, siren - New System

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Proofs, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Proofs

    Proofs Guest

    Just put together a new system:

    NF7-M mobo
    Athlon XP+2700
    256mb Centon PC3200
    400W PS (P4/Athlon rated w/atx12v plug)

    no add-on cards - PCI or otherwise
    1 CD/RW drive - on IDE 2
    1 DVD drive - on IDE 2
    1 Hdd - on IDE 1
    1 floppy

    generic mouse/keyboard/display

    When I turn on the PS, a red LED next to the FPIO1 connector lights up.
    When I push the PWR button, a green LED in the same position also lights up.
    Next the monitor may/may not come on, followed by a beep, a pause, then a
    siren.
    This continues until you turn off the PS.
    So far the drives spool & the POST screen comes up, then almost immediately
    the siren begins and everything dies.

    I've tried resetting the CMOS to no good result, needles to say I am stuck.

    Proofs, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Proofs

    ICee Guest

    That indicates either the heatsink is not mounted properly, causing the
    CPU to get too hot and shut the system down with the BIOS beep code you
    have, or the heatsink fan is not plugged into the header on the MB for
    the CPU fan, or the tach signal from the heatsink fan is "dirty", and
    not being seen by the BIOS.
    Quite often, the heatsink is mounted 180° turned around, and is not
    contacting the CPU properly.

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Proofs

    Proofs Guest

    That makes sense, it seems to get farther into the boot process if it's been
    sitting cold for a while. Could it hurt/help to use some type of heatsink
    compound? How do you tell what orientation to put the heatsink fan?

    Proofs, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Proofs

    ICee Guest

    Is it the retail heatsink you're using, and does it have the thermal pad
    on it? If so, did you remove the blue tape before installing the
    heatsink?

    Usually, the bottom of the heatsink has a step in it, and this is
    matched up to the step on the CPU socket. That's the best way to tell
    if it's on correctly.

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Proofs

    Proofs Guest

    It's not a/the retail heatsink, bought it at the local mom&pop pc store. It
    did have a small rectangle on the bottom of it, may have been the thermal
    pad. There was a large Remove Before Flight sticker that I peeled off, the
    squareish spot was under the sticker. I won't be able to check it till I
    get home.

    Proofs, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Proofs

    ICee Guest

    Then, it's very probable the heatsink is on "backwards". Remove the
    heatsink and clean the thermal pad off it and the CPU die. You may have
    to scrape the bottom of the heatsink to get it all off. Be careful not
    to scratch it. Clean the heatsink and CPU die with acetone, or
    isopropyl alcohol. If you use acetone, final clean with isopropyl
    alcohol, then apply a *thin* layer of heatsink compound. If you don't
    have any, you can pick up a small tube at your local Radio Shack store.

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Proofs

    Proofs Guest

    Thank you for the help. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

    Proofs, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Proofs

    ICee Guest

    You're welcome, and I'll be watching for an update.

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Proofs

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    It does sound like he didn't use any pad or thermal compound. I have never
    seen a heatsink that had a thermal pad under a protective cover. If there
    wasn't any thermal compound or pad that sure would make it overheat pretty
    quick and even quicker if the heatsink wasn't touching the core at all.

    PRIVATE1964, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Proofs

    ICee Guest

    Good point. I imagined a thermal pad under the "remove before use"
    plastic, but didn't think it may not have had one at all. If that's the
    case, it would explain the high temp, as well as make things easier for
    him to reinstall, since there won't be a thermal pad to scrape off.
    Thanks!

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  11. Proofs

    Proofs Guest

    It took me maybe two minutes to get into the case, take off the heatsink,
    clean it up, put it back on the obviously correct way (now that I know what
    to look for I feel like an idiot) and turn it back on.... Yahtzee, it
    worked like it was made that way.

    Thanks alot, Icee!

    Proofs, Feb 20, 2004
  12. Proofs

    ICee Guest

    Thanks for the update, Proofs. Glad it was as simple as reinstalling
    the heatsink, and you're welcome!

    ICee, Feb 20, 2004