    drive, but partition it with 4 FAT32 partitions, see how that go's and
    if it detect it in XP.

    Thanks.\

    John Candy, Jul 6, 2007

  2. John Candy wrote:

    | Not sure what this is, as it shows on the boot up bios. The drive is
    | a 500 gig drive with a 120 gig NTFS partition and the rest unused.
    |
    | It was a boot drive from my other system, but as that's not working
    | at the moment thought I would put it in the backup system and use it,
    | seems it will into show up.
    |
    | Going to make a new drive for the backup system with an identical
    | drive, but partition it with 4 FAT32 partitions, see how that go's and
    | if it detect it in XP.
    |
    | Thanks.\

    Hi John -

    If you're running at least Windows XP SP1 you've got support for drives
    larger than 137GB (decimal). 48-bit LBA was implemented with Windows XP
    SP1.

    That said, often when you attach a drive to a system you've got to go into
    Disk Management and partition, format and assign a drive letter (in the case
    of a raw drive) or assign a drive letter (in the case of a drive with
    existing data).

    Right-click on My Computer and select Manage from the menu. Under Storage,
    click on Disk Management. You should be able to scroll down the pane on the
    right to see your new drive. From there, right-click on partitions already
    on the drive and choose the option to assign a drive letter. Follow the
    wizard. For unused space, right-click and choose the option to partition.

    If all you want to do is start from scratch with new partitions, right-click
    on the existing partition and select the option to delete it. Right-click
    on the unused space and partition, format and assign drive letters as
    desired.

    Jef

    Bird JanitorĀ®, Jul 6, 2007

  3. John Candy

    Vanguard Guest

    in message

    Was there a question somewhere in your post? It was well hidden. Since
    you never did ask a question then no one knows how to answer. There are
    lots of ways to infer what you meant to ask but didn't.

    Why would you think a 500GB hard drive that has a 120GB partition
    defined would show up as a 500GB partition in Windows? The partition is
    120GB and that is the size that any OS will show for that partition.
    You never mentioned what the other 380GB was used for, if at all. If
    the other 380GB is not allocated to a partition then no OS will show it
    as available. You have to create a partition that uses the other 380GB
    to have it show up in the OS. "the rest unused" indicates that the
    other 380GB was never allocated to a partition so obviously all you will
    ever see in the OS is the 120GB partition that you did create.

    Vanguard, Jul 6, 2007
  4. John Candy

    John Candy Guest

    Just not sure why the formated NTFS partition is not showing up,
    though I hzve never tried to use a drive with raw unalocated data
    before.

    That drive was a emergency use disk, to install XP I just let XP do
    its thing on the install and it left all what it did not need.

    Thanks.

    John Candy, Jul 7, 2007
  5. John Candy

    John Candy Guest

    I did a full format and partition of an idential SATA Samsung 500 gig
    SATA 2 drive and did it with Partition magic in Dos mod via boot
    floppys.

    In the bios boot up it shows the drive, but it does not show the drive
    and or the partitions. I'am running the latest chipset drivers for the
    mobo, even though they are pretty old now, also SP2 for XP :)

    Maybe there is a bios thing I have to turn on or something.

    It should just detect the drive if its been formated to fat32 defaults
    right, or is it a sata2 thing ?

    Thanks.

    John Candy, Jul 7, 2007
  6. John Candy

    Vanguard Guest

    The summary shown after the POST will only list the hard disk devices.
    If there were 6 hard disks then it lists 6 hard disks, not the 6 to
    hundred partitions on them all. At that point, the BIOS doesn't care
    about how the hard disks have been partitioned, if at all, since it
    hasn't gotten to booting an OS yet.

    I'm wondering if you don't have the SATA BIOS enabled by the system
    BIOS. If the SATA BIOS is not enabled, you can't use any SATA disk
    attached to the SATA port on the motherboard. Boot and go into the
    system BIOS and go to:

    Integrated Peripherals -> Onboard PCI Device

    Make sure the SATA Controller is enabled.

    When you installed Windows, did you hit F6 at the first screen that says
    to hit that key if you need to install SCSI devices? Windows sees SATA
    as a SCSI type of device and you need to install the drivers to support
    SATA. Presumably you already installed the nForce drivers for the
    motherboard. Did you install the the SATA driver? The problem is that
    if Windows needs the SATA driver then it can't use a SATA disk as the
    boot drive because, well, it doesn't know about the device yet to use
    it. Since you said that you just formatted the SATA drive using
    PartitionMagic then you will be doing a fresh install of Windows XP on
    it. When you boot the Windows XP install CD, make sure to hit the F6
    key when prompted (it shows as a text line at the bottom of the screen).
    Be sure to have the driver floppy ready.

    Vanguard, Jul 7, 2007
  7. Grief, I see why Vanguard finds you hard to understand. First you say that
    the BIOS shows the drive, but then you say that it does not show the drive.
    You wouldn't expect the BIOS to show you all the partition information, but
    it *should* list the drive. Does it or doesn't it?
    As you have already been told, the first thing to check is inside Disk
    Management in the system management console. If it shows the drive, you may
    merely need to add a drive letter for the existing partition, then create
    extra partion(s) for the unused space.

    However, if you can't see it in Disk Management, and it's an SATA2 drive,
    you may need to manually configure the drive to use the SATA1 interface.
    This might be done via a driver, or via a software configuration utility,
    consult your drive manufacturer's website for further details.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    The UK's leading BT-pwned technology reseller www.dabs.com

    Richard Hopkins, Jul 9, 2007
  8. The Sata 2 drives I have used, Maxtor and Samsung all had jumpers to
    turn them into Sata drives. They worked great on my NF7-S v2.0.

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Jul 9, 2007
  9. John Candy

    John Candy Guest

    Yeah I think the mobo Just can't handel SATA 2 drives. No biggy as its
    intened to go into my NEW system anyways. I guess I will have to get
    some SATA 1 or ata drives for my backup system.

    In disk managment No other disks or partitions showup other thanthe
    boot drive an partitions.

    Thanks all.

    John Candy, Jul 9, 2007
  10. John Candy

    John Candy Guest

    Yeah that's what I shoudl do I think. They would only be used for
    storage anyways on the backup system anyways, so SATA 2 is not realy
    needed :)

    Thanks.

    John Candy, Jul 10, 2007