    either have to dish out $20 extra for the asus a7n8x deluxe (an
    inferior board IMO), or $80 for an audigy sound card. Thanks in
    advance for your assistance.

    Dan, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Dan

    John Russell Guest

    You can only run 4.1/5.1 setups connected via SPDIF if you have an external
    Dolby Digital decoder. If you don't use the NF7-S's DD encoder you will be
    stuck with stereo via the single SPDIF (or Dolby Pro-logic which is stereo
    based).
    Some of the altec's have a single SPDIF for the front speakers, and analog
    for the rest.

    John Russell, Jul 19, 2003