NF7-S & BH-5 RAM (2 x 512 MB Mushkin). A good combo?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by deitel, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. deitel

    deitel Guest

    Hi, I was wondering if the old BH-5, in a 2 x 512MB configuration, holds up
    better on the NF7-S, as compared to TCCD. On this website
    http://bit-tech.net/review/349 they mention that...

    "There was also the problem that, typically, BH-5/BH-6 based 512Mb modules
    didn't overclock quite as well as their 256Mb siblings."

    I am asking this because someone is willing to offer me Mushkin 2 x 512 MB
    PC3200 Level II DDR 400MHz RAM.

    Should i get this ram or should i just get TCCD RAM for my NF7-S ? Maybe
    based upon the above quite i should not get 2 x 512 MB BH-5 RAM, but instead
    get 2 x 512 MB TCCD RAM?

    If not, what ram should i get? I want good stuff.

    Any help appreciated!

    Cheers,
    Deitel

    deitel, Sep 25, 2004

  2. deitel

    BUFF Guest

    Grab the BH-5 if it is a decent price - its out of production & much sought
    after.
    It is harder to overclock any 512Mb double sided RAM compared to 256Mb
    single sided sticks .

    BUFF, Sep 26, 2004

  3. System: NF7-S ver. 2.0
    Memory 2 Mushkin 256 Black Level II in dual channel
    1 " 512 " " "
    CPU Barton 2600 333
    FSB at 422 (211) 8-3-3-2.5

    Will run at 6 2-2-2 at 400 but get better memory scores with this
    speed
    at stock voltages. Have the older chips. Don't know if they clock
    better
    than the new. Haven't tried to push higher with voltage increases.
    Can't state any differences between 256 and 512 modules, but have
    always obtained Mushkin products and have been satisfied with them.

    Sheldon Roger, Sep 26, 2004
  4. deitel

    BigBadger Guest

    As Buff said, generally 512MB modules don't overclock as high as equivalent
    256MB versions. This is true for any brand of memory, not just Winbond BH5.
    If stellar FSB is your main aim then get 256MB modules.

    BigBadger, Sep 26, 2004