NF7-S; Few questions

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH], Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Hi,
    It has been a while since last built a PC. So I am apologizing in advance if
    these are "DUH" questions.
    I just put together the NF7-S and AMD XP2600+ last night. The new case came
    with front panel audio and USB. I have the following questions
    1. Where do I connet the front panel Audio? I don't see any header for it. I
    don't have seperate audio card. The case had system speaker and there was a
    place to connet that with the HDD, PWR Reset etc. cables at FPIO1 header.
    2. The case front panel has USB and Audio. Could I get the firewire in the
    front as well? Can you buy such a connector?
    3. What is a IR port used for? Example of a device?
    4. Can you actually increase throughput by using the Serillel adapter using
    a ATAPI HD?
    5. The case fans (2) I have only connects to the power supply cables. The
    NF7-S has two fan headers that are monitored. What is the best way to
    connect my case fans to the motherboard's PWRFAN1 and CHAFAN1?
    6. What do one use the SMB1 header for? Example?
    7. There is only one CD1 header. Is it OK to connect one CDRW there and not
    connect the DVD ROM?

    I guess that is enough quesitons for now. Have a good day.
    My personal e-mail address is

    Regards,
    Mahfuz

    Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH], Aug 26, 2003

  2. Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH]

    Alan Guest

    Mahfuz:
    Here is some help.

    Audio:
    No other card is needed.
    Pages 3-10 to 3-15 of the manual has the scematics for the audio
    connections, USB, Firewire and others (English)
    IR is Infrared connection, optional adapter is required. Once installed
    then enable in your BIOS.
    using a ATAPI HD?
    Yes Serrillel adapter increases throughput of any ATA drive 100/133 - single
    drive only.
    NF7-S has two fan headers that are monitored. What is the best way to
    connect my case fans to the motherboard's PWRFAN1 and CHAFAN1?
    Your PowerSupply may have a fan connection, if not then there is little you
    can do.
    I suggest you leave your fans as they are, if you decide that the
    case/board/cpu is getting too warm, then add fans. If you purchase the
    Vanec Stealth fans, they come with both connectors, they are quiet and
    efficient. Once connected to the motherboard, you will be able to monitor
    them.
    not connect the DVD ROM?
    I would connect your DVD to the CD1 but either or none will still work fine.
    You will hear everything. You can also use your SPDIF connector to a Home
    Theatre amplifier for full 6.1 sound.

    Can't help you on the other items.

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH]

    xman Charlie Guest

    Site very well done. Thanks...

    my 2 cents

    xman Charlie, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH]

    dr_hardware Guest

    You're welcome! :)

    dr_hardware, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH]

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH]

    dr_hardware Guest

    No. I just happened to find it a while back when I first purchased my
    NF7-S. It's grown a great deal since then and it has a lot of really good
    info for Abit & Epox MB's.

    dr_hardware, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Imam, Mahfuz [RICH2:2L53:EXCH]

    - HAL9000 Guest