NF7-S Front Panel Audio Connections

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Linux Man, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Linux Man

    Linux Man Guest

    I 'm building a computer using an Abit NF7-S motherboard and an Antec Super
    Lanboy case. Here's my problem that I need some guidance on. I've searched
    and searched and can't find anything that explains this in detail. Perhaps,
    I'm confused about something that's pretty simple for most. Please bear
    with me.

    The wires for the case's front panel connectors are as follows:
    MICROPHONE: Mic, Mic Bias, Ground
    SPEAKERS: FPOUT-R, FPOUT-L, RET-R, RET-L, and Ground.

    The pin-out the FPIO2 Header on my mb according to the user's manual is as
    follows:
    1-MIC, 2-GND, 3-NoConn, 4-VCC, 5-FrontRight, 6-FrontRight, 7-NoConn,
    8-NoPin, 9-FrontLeft, 10-Front-Left, 11-GND, 12-SPDIF-In, 13-VCC,
    14-SPDIF-Out. The motherboard has jumpers on pins 5-6 and pins 9-10.

    Here're my questions:

    1. Where do the three microphone wires go? I know the ground connector
    goes to pin 2, GND, but what pins should the Mic and Mic Bias be connected
    to? Which connector connects to Pin 1, MIC and Pin 4, VCC.

    2. Do I remove the motherboard jumpers on pins 5-6 and 9-10 and connect the
    speaker wires? If so, won't this disable my rear connections? What I want
    is to have both the front connectors and rear connectors to function.

    Thanks in advance for some explaination. Once I get through this dilemma,
    I'm ready to turn on the juice and fire up my new computer.

    Linux Man, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Linux Man

    Paul Guest

    ftp://63.241.67.42/pub/download/manual/english/nf7.pdf (pg.34)

    Mic = Pin1
    Mic_Bias = Pin3 (a mic bias is a 1K or 2K ohm resistor connected to +5V
    Mic bias is used to power electret microphones.)
    Ground = Pin2

    Pin4 (VCC) not needed, so no connection.

    The pins that have the jumpers on them, are replaced by "Out" and
    "Return" pairs. When a headphone is plugged into the front panel,
    this breaks the connection between an "Out" and a "Return". When
    the headphone is unplugged, "Out" is shorted to "Return", so then
    the two wires are working like the jumper used to. This gives a
    mute function when the headphone jack on the front of the computer
    is used.

    FPOUT-R = Pin5
    RET-R = Pin6
    FPOUT-L = Pin9
    RET-L = Pin10

    If you don't want the mute function, you need to find a way to short
    5-6 and 9-10 while at least the FPOUT type wires are connected to
    pins 5 and 9. A carefully wound strand of copper wire extracted
    from an old line cord can be used to do this, but be careful you
    don't short to any other pins, especially pin 4 which is
    connected to +5V. Rather than do this, you might consider buying
    a cable assembly from Radio Shack that just plugs into the back
    of the computer permanently, leaving the 5-6 and 9-10 jumpers in
    place.

    http://support.radioshack.com/support_accessories/doc70/70815.pdf

    Pins 1 through 10 are a more or less standard Intel FPAUDIO header.
    Pins 11 through 14 are a non-standard extension to the header.

    The Intel standard is here - see page 20:

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/fpio_design_guideline.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Linux Man

    LinuxMan Guest

    Well, your informative explanation answered all my questions. Your provided
    link to the manual is a newer version than what came with my mb. This is
    the reason for the conflicting information on the pinout. I assume the
    newer version manual is correct. Thanks again.

    LinuxMan, Jan 26, 2004