NF7-S mobo - Should I use nVidia's unified nForce driver?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by *Vanguard*, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. *Vanguard*

    *Vanguard* Guest

    Just put together this box and installed Windows 2000. In Device Manager
    under the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" category, there was listed the
    controller and the primary and secondary ports. I've been used to going
    under the primary and secondary entries to ensure the DMA setting was set to
    use "DMA if possible". Sometimes on booting up and installing Win2K, PIO
    mode was used for the drives although they support UDMA mode 5 (100 or 133
    MB/s). The drive is currently attached to the SATA port so the only device
    on the motherboard's IDE ports is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive as master on the 2nd
    IDE port. CD type drives only support up to UDMA mode 2 (33 MB/s) but
    having it stuck in PIO mode makes performance abysmal so I always check.

    Now after installing nVidia's unified driver and looking under its entry in
    Device Manager, the maximum that I can set for transfer mode for the
    DVD-ROM/CD-RW device is mode 3 (which they also call Ultra50 although 44MB/s
    is max transfer rate for mode 3; see
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modes_UDMA.htm). Currently the nVidia
    driver is configured to use "BIOS Default" and the current transfer mode
    used is "Ultra DMA 3 - Ultra50" (which is probably faster than the device
    can actually handle). That's okay, but what bothers me is that the
    selections for manully choosing a transfer mode only go up to Ultra DMA 3
    (Ultra50). The motherboard is supposed to support up to 133 MB/s (UDMA mode
    5, I believe) so why aren't modes 4 and 5 listed?

    Is it that the nVidia unified driver simply shows the maximum UDMA mode for
    the type or device detected? Or is their driver really stuck down at mode 3
    as the fastest it will support? Obviously if mode 3 is the fastest transfer
    rate supported by nVidia's unified driver then I don't want to use it. I
    may someday install a non-SATA drive which will attach to the PATA (parallel
    IDE) ports and I certainly want to have the maximum transfer rate supported.
    I will agree that 133 MB/s is just marketing hype but there is a slight
    performance boost from 66 MB/s to 100 MB/s (and even more from 44 MB/s if
    mode 3 is as high as the nVidia unified driver really supports).

    Selecting a higher UDMA mode doesn't make the device any faster, but I
    should still be able to set it higher than the device supports. For anyone
    using nVidia's unified driver and has both a Ultra100 or Ultra133 hard drive
    and a CD drive attached to the same PATA IDE channel, what is the maximum
    transfer rate that you could manually select?

    *Vanguard*, Dec 29, 2003

  2. *Vanguard*

    *Vanguard* Guest

    *Vanguard*, Dec 29, 2003