    tell, how can I find out - the BIOS updates are different for the various
    Revisions so it's important to know.

    Bob

    Bob Bagnall, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Bob Bagnall

    xman Charlie Guest

    The is suppose to be a sticker between the pci slot, says, nf7 rev 2.0

    my 2 cents

    xman Charlie, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Bob Bagnall

    ICee Guest

    Pictures of the box and the MB sticker to look for are here:
    http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?2.255

    ICee, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Bob Bagnall

    borolad Guest

    borolad, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Shouldn't that one be; "No MCP2-T = v1.0 Rev1"?

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Jun 3, 2004
  6. Bob Bagnall

    Bob Bagnall Guest

    Thanks everyone for trying to help

    Here's where I'm up to (I'm still a bit confused)

    There is a small sticker just by the PCI slots that says NF7-S v2.0. I found
    that after what xman Charlie said in his reply, plus going to
    http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?2.255 as suggested by ICee. The
    website suggested by ICee had a picture of the sticker that helped, but it
    also said that the box label (at the back of th box) should say NF7-S v2.0
    whereas mine just says NF7-S. The website also said that the motherboard
    would be bright orange, whereas older version boards were a dull brown.
    Mine's a kind of brown with light brownish./orangeish patches. Not sure what
    that means.

    borolad said that

    Got SATA plugs = v2.0 Rev2
    No SATA plugs = v1.0 Rev1

    Got MCP2-T = v2.0 Rev2
    No MCP2-T = v2.0 Rev1

    Well, it's got SATA plugs and in the box there's a SATA lead plus an adapter
    to use ordinary IDE drives with a SATA plug.
    But the Nvidia chip says MCP-T on it rather than MCP2-T. What should be
    written on it? How do I know if it is MCP2-T?

    The bottom line is that the board sticker that I've now found says it is
    NF7-S v2.0 but the rest of the confirming evidence is a bit confusing. Can
    anyone enlighten me from there please?

    Thanks

    Bob

    Bob Bagnall, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Bob Bagnall

    Avenger© Guest

    Maybe this will help:

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/comparison.php

    Avenger©, Jun 3, 2004
  8. Bob Bagnall

    Avenger© Guest

    Also if your MOBO has two IEEE 1394 ports, then it is an NF7-s Version
    2.
    HTH

    Avenger©, Jun 3, 2004
  9. Bob Bagnall

    borolad Guest

    This sounds like an NF7-S v2.0, but it could be either Rev1 or Rev2.
    The Rev1 as I understand it is AC97 sound and the Rev2 has
    SoundstormTM technology [ 5.1 Dolby ]

    So does your MOBO have an AC97 [ 6 channel ] Audio chip on it ?

    That's called ' seriell ' PATA to SATA adaptor

    Now I'm confused twixt MCP2-T and the MCP-T. Got to go to work, I have
    a look later unless someone else jumps in helps.
    I'm 99% certain its an NF7-S v2.0 just not sure about the revision, if
    you DO NOT have the AC97 chip I'll be 99% sure you have the NF7-S v2.0
    Revision2

    BoroLad

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Abit.html
    color
    Rev1=(MB-035-AB)
    Rev2=(MB-028-AB)
    NOTE 2 different MOBO's both NF7-S v2.0

    borolad, Jun 3, 2004
  10. Bob Bagnall

    ICee Guest

    The easiest way to tell if a NF7-S MB is a revision 2.0 is to run CPU-Z;
    select the Mainboard tab and it will identify the revision of the
    chipset. It should be Rev. C1 for the revision 2.0 MB.
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    ICee, Jun 3, 2004
  11. Bob Bagnall

    Bob Bagnall Guest

    I'm really grateful for all the help given. I don't want to build a machine
    until I'm sure of what I've got (I need 400fsb version). If I've been sold
    the wrong thing I'll have to return it fo a refund.

    Re all the replies since my last posting:

    My board has two IEEE 1394 headers (J41 and J42)
    I can't find an AC97 chip - where would it be on the board if it were
    present? I need to know where to look

    Does this help? Do I have the 400fsb model?

    As an extra question....among the accessories there's a USB cable with
    backplate that has a couple of red connectors. I guess these go on the USB
    headers, but there's also a blue connector leading to two more ports on the
    backplate that I don't recognise. They are eacha different shape (one large
    one tiny). What are they and where does the blue connetor go on the
    motherboard? The manual doesn't say.

    Thanks again to everyone

    Bob

    Bob Bagnall, Jun 3, 2004
  12. Bob Bagnall

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    If you really are not sure yet then take off the Northbridge heatsink and
    fan.

    The chipset for the rev 2.0 400 fsb version is visually different.

    On the rev 2.0 the chipset should be all black like here.

    http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=144&p=322

    PRIVATE1964, Jun 3, 2004
  13. Bob Bagnall

    ICee Guest

    It's not necessary to remove the NB heatsink; just run CPU-Z and check
    that the chipset is revision C1. Anything else, and it's not a rev. 2.0
    board.

    ICee, Jun 3, 2004
  14. Bob Bagnall

    borolad Guest

    It's a fact!

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jun 3, 2004
  15. Bob Bagnall

    BigBadger Guest

    Err...All NF7-S boards have SATA plugs...thats what the 'S' stands for

    BigBadger, Jun 3, 2004
  16. Bob Bagnall

    BigBadger Guest

    No...the NF7-S has Soundstorm (all versions)...Its the budget NF7 (no 'S')
    model that does not have Soundstorm (or SATA or Firewire).

    BigBadger, Jun 3, 2004
  17. Bob Bagnall

    Amir Facade Guest

    or RAID

    Amir Facade, Jun 4, 2004
  18. Bob Bagnall

    Amir Facade Guest

    Oops! My bad.

    Amir Facade, Jun 4, 2004
  19. Bob Bagnall

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    It's not necessary to remove the NB heatsink; just run CPU-Z and check
    I only posted that as a last resort if he is still in doubt after everything
    else including what you posted.

    PRIVATE1964, Jun 4, 2004
  20. Bob Bagnall

    Bob Bagnall Guest

    Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I think the fact that the board
    has a sticker saying NF7-S v2.0 rather clinches it for me, but I found all
    the information, and particularly the web links, extremely useful for my
    general knowledge about the board. Thank you all for taking the time and
    trouble to post advice.

    Bob

    Bob Bagnall, Jun 4, 2004