NF7-S SoundStorm: Dolby Digital (Decode or passthrough?)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Wayne Youngman, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Hello again,

    just a quickie :p

    I am not actually sure whether this new SoundStorm can *decode* DD5:1 or
    just passes it through (bypass). I been out the PC audio loop for years, my
    last audio investment was a Creative SB-LIVE! Platinum + Cambridge DTT2500.
    This older set-up just plays DD5:1 fine via pass-through and the amp decodes
    the 5:1 signal. I'm aware all the cards since then have included the option
    to handle DD5:1 decoding in the soundcard themselves, including SoundStorm?

    Basically just trying to work out what my best option is, I guess I would
    like to have a proper separate AMP and proper speakers (semi pro like!) but
    I would like it to handle my EAX games, play proper digital audio, Dolby
    digital etc. . .

    any input. .
    --
    Wayne ][

    Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.75vCore
    CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
    ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
    512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v)
    Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung
    240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
    Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
    WinXP-PRO-SP1
    Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

    Wayne Youngman, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Wayne Youngman

    JT Guest

    Are we talking about decoding (e.g. playing a DVD with DD5.1 signal via
    the analog speaker outputs) or encoding, e.g. generating a 5.1 dolby
    signal on the digital output (optical)?

    I think most systems can decode (play back) and pass through DD51 -
    however SoundStorm can *generate* a dolby digital 5.1 signal. This way
    you can use a Dolby Digital AMP connected to the optical S/PDIF to play
    games.

    AFAIK SoundStorm does support EAX 2 but not EAX 3 (Advanced HD).

    jt

    JT, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Wayne Youngman

    Wblane Guest

    But it doesn't work! At least it doesn't work right. The only game I've got
    that seems to work well w/EAX is Half Life. Everything else (Enter the Matrix,
    NOLF2, Tron 2.0, MOHAA:Spearhead ends up having
    too soft or far too loud sound effects. EAX sounds a lot worse than my old SB
    PCI64 (which I'm not sure if it even supported EAX).

    Wblane, Oct 16, 2003