    immediately shut-down and restart the mouse is found normally. Device mangler
    reports the USB ports as functioning normally. Anyone have any ideas on this?
    Please don't suggest Windows XP, because I can't switch OS's ATM.

    Wblane, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Wblane

    Morgan Guest

    I have read about this before in a couple of forums but without any resolve
    that I can remember to prevent it from happening.
    If it is any consolation to you and your choice of OS this too happens to
    me, but not on every cold boot, when running XP and using a Logitech USB
    mouse. The only answer has been a reboot. I have also seen this noted when
    using a USB keyboard causing the keyboard to not be detected each and every
    time.
    So what I have done is just use a USB to PS2 adaptor and now since the mouse
    is running via the PS2 port it has never happened.
    That resolve suits me in that now the problem doesn't happen but also I get
    my mouse back when running Norton Ghost in DOS, only a small consolation but
    at least it's there :)

    I am not sure if someone once posted believing there to be a relationship
    between high FSB and the occasional failure of the USB ports on the
    motherboard. Whether there is or not I'm not sure but I do seem to remember
    a post or two about it.

    I take it that you are using the latest NVidia unified drivers...?
    Although I think that the USB support comes from Abit for W98se..?

    Morgan

    Morgan, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Wblane

    Chip Guest

    Good board though the nf7-s is, it has some niggles and this is one of them.
    It manifests itself in all sorts of ways, but essentially the USB ports are
    a bit "fussy". The following are all things that I have found that can fix
    the problem, depending on exactly what it is:

    If you were using XP, I would say try setting the USB ports to 1.1 mode only
    (instead of USB 1.1+2) in the bios. You could try this anyway, if you don't
    have any USB2 devices.

    Another option is simply to try all the various USB ports. You might well
    find that the ones on the motherboard i/o plate are more reliable than the
    ones attached to the headers & bracket.

    Since its a cold boot issue, it could also be a PSU related problem. What
    power output is your PSU? Do you have another PSU you could try, or borrow?
    A more powerful PSU may fix it.

    Sounds stupid, I know, but do you have any PCI cards in your system?
    Particularly any modem or sound cards? If so, try moving them to a
    different slot. I found my mouse problems went away if I removed my modem
    card, and they came back again when I put the modem card back!

    Finally, what nvidia chipset drivers are you using? I found that the 2.41
    drivers fixed my mouse problems. 3.13 brought the problems back again! But
    don't use the 2.41 hard disk drivers - they are rubbish.

    Sorry for all the rambling, but I hope there is something in there that will
    help you.

    Cheers,

    Chip

    Chip, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Wblane

    Airman 366 Guest

    Had the same problem with a PS2 mouse. Started when I installed a 9800
    Radeon video card. Replacing the 300 watt Antec power supply with a 480
    watt Enermax fixed it for me.

    Airman 366, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Wblane

    Dennis Reese Guest

    Had the same problem with a previous motherboard. Had to go to a
    microsoft mouse. Figured that is was a microsoft bug to force out
    competing products. Make certain that you are using the latest
    logitech drivers.

    Dennis

    Dennis Reese, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Wblane

    Chip Guest

    LOL. BTW, it happens with MS mouses too!

    Chip

    Chip, Apr 23, 2004
  7. Wblane

    Wblane Guest

    I've got a 435 Watt Enermax so I doubt that could be the problem? I have a 9800
    Pro as well and this problem didn't start until after I installed it (replaced
    my old 9500 Pro).

    If I immediately do a warm reboot after starting up my system the USB logitech
    mouse disappearing problem seems to go away.

    Wblane, Apr 26, 2004
  8. Wblane

    Airman Basic Guest

    Yeah, mine did fine on a warm boot, too. That's what made me suspect the
    power supply. Lots of hit on the power supply when everything is asking
    for startup juice. Does seem like you've got enough, though. Try
    unplugging some piece of hardware and see if the problem persists.

    Airman Basic, Apr 26, 2004
  9. Wblane

    ok Guest

    New BIOS out to take care of these keyboard/mouse issues.

    ok, Apr 27, 2004