    Am I right or completely off the track here?

    regards
    Kjell

    Kjell Berglund, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Kjell Berglund

    dr_hardware Guest

    The current version of the BIOS (along with the previos one) fixed a
    tendency to under report the CPU temp. If the alarm is going off quickly,
    recheck your heatsink/thermal paste installation. The problem is very
    likely there.

    dr_hardware, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Kjell Berglund

    Alan Guest

    No this motherboard is not known for overheat problems.

    I am not sure of the Heatsink you speak of, I do have this board with the
    Barton 2500. Mine stays under 48C, and it is overclocked but stable.

    I suggest you try the AMD Heatsink that came with the CPU. If you have some
    thermal grease, remove the default pad that came with the heatsink. Be
    careful not to scratch the surface, so do not use any metal object to remove
    this. Clean the area with Isopropel alcohol, as well as the CPU.

    Mount the Heatsink to the CPU being sure to align it properly so that is
    remains flat. Plug in the Heatsink fan to CPUFan1.

    Let us know if this helps,

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Kjell Berglund

    Alan Guest

    That is not correct. I had a CPU replaced only last week, by AMD and I
    only use thermal grease.

    AMD recommends TCM such as that supplied on their heatsinks. TCM can only
    be used once, and must be re-applied if the heatsink is removed from the
    CPU.

    There is one very good reason not to use the default pad, lower temp.

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 28, 2003
  5. Is it possible your motherboard isn't able to sense the RPM properly of your
    CPU fan? If it senses CPU fan RPM less than the BIOS threshold for safe
    operation it should shut the system down in the manner you have described.
    You might want to try another fan to see if the problem stays the same or
    goes away. I assume your Swiftech is positioned correctly on the CPU. If not
    that might cause similar problems.

    callsignviper, Aug 28, 2003
  6. Thanks for the reply.
    It's definitively possible that it is a fan problem, the fan spins at
    only 2050 rpm, and I don't know what the bios threshold is, as I haven't
    been able to check it, twice when I have managed to get into the PC
    Health status, bios has frozen (no response to keyboard, had to shut
    down pc tom get out). I know that on my previous mobo, abit kt7-a raid,
    there was a threshold, think it was 2500 rpm.
    Will try a fan that spins faster.

    Kjell

    Kjell Berglund, Aug 28, 2003
  7. Kjell Berglund

    Tom Joyce Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:41:23 +0200, Kjell Berglund
    Are the Swiftech mounting posts secure? I have an Alpha heatsink which
    uses a similar system and once had an overheating problem when the thread
    on one of the plastic nuts failed; all have now been replaced with steel
    nuts and insulating washers.

    Regards,
    Tom

    Tom Joyce, Aug 29, 2003
  8. Could be a possible problem, I had the mobo out to check this, because I
    saw that at least one of the mounting posts were turning just before the
    fastening screws bottomed out (didn't have good tools when I mounted
    these in the first place). When trying to tighten the one I was
    suspicious about, it broke (the standoff broke off at the base). Luckily
    there were 5 included in the pack, so I fastened the last one.
    I have had this mobo running with my old athlon 1gHz with taisol
    heatsink, I have actually installed redhat 8 with that installed, but it
    refuses to boot with the 2500+. I tried another combo, my old cpu with
    the mcx462 heatsink, with a new fan that spins a little faster than the
    pabst I got first, but that didn't work either, but now I have been able
    to flash bios, and I am about to give it another try.
    I have a number of other problems, the mobo refuses to boot with my two
    twinmos 512mb pc3200 (not the most expensive!), it will boot with one,
    and it doesn't matter which one, so it's not the memory that is the problem.

    kjell

    Kjell Berglund, Aug 29, 2003
  9. Kjell Berglund

    Tom Joyce Guest

    I have a pair of 256Mb Twinmos PC3200 CL2 modules in slots 2 and 3 of my
    NF7-S v2.0, currently in sync. with 210MHz FSB. The two modules should
    still work in other positions in single memory channel mode. What PSU are
    you using? Good luck with the overheating problem.

    Regards,
    Tom

    Tom Joyce, Aug 30, 2003