NF7-S v2.0 Memory question

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Paul, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Currently running Kingston 256x2 DDR400 C3 PC3200 in dual mode, no
    problems. I'd like to go to 1 gig. Am I better off just adding a 512
    stick? will it run dual mode? or would I be better off getting 2 new 512
    sticks? Does it make any difference if I stay w Kingston or would
    another brand w/ same specs be ok? Thanks for your help...

    ABIT NF7-Sv2.0
    AMD 2800+/333 Athelon XP Barton (unlocked)
    Ultra All Copper Cooling Fan XP 3200
    Kingston 256x2 DDR400 C3 PC3200
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb 8x AGP
    Liteon SOHW-812S DVD+/-RW
    Benq DW1620 DVD+/-RW
    JPC 425 Watt power supply
    Chieftec Matrix Series Black w/clear side and fan
    Speeze 80mm Front case fan
    WDC WD60 Hard Drive
    Dell Ultrasharp 2000FP
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard/mouse
    Logitech X-530 Surround Speakers
    Windows XP Pro SP2

    Paul, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Paul

    Mike Guest

    Dual mode runs only if 2 identical sticks are present, I use 2 512 sticks of
    crucial ddr400 and they've been running fine for quite a while now.

    MikeE

    Mike, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    It's not going to make a hell of a lot of difference either way. But if
    you're trying to squeeze an extra 1-2% performance out of it, I'd go with
    2-512 sticks, although you may get the same performance just adding a 512M
    stick.
    Total BS. They just both need to be able to run at the same settings. They
    don't even have to be the same brand.

    Wes Newell, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks guys, appreciate your input......

    Paul, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Paul

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for your valued opinon.
    To guarantee "both need to be able to run at the same settings" the sticks
    would be the same...FYI some motherboards are picky about different makes of
    memory.

    MikeE

    Mike, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Paul

    Doug Guest

    Wrong. My system has two 512MB sticks of PC3200, one Kingston ValueRAM, the
    other Hyperx. My bro's system has one stick of PC2100 512MB and another
    stick of PC2700 512MB in dual-channel mode PLUS another stick of 128MB
    PC2100.

    Doug, Apr 4, 2005
  7. Paul

    Doug Guest

    Never disagree w/Wes, you'll only regret it. Wes do you know Kyle Brant by
    any chance? R U a EE by trade? Kyle coded the
    K6 program that enabled write combine.

    Doug, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Paul

    Wes Newell Guest

    The answer to both questions is no. But I'm not right all the time. I'm
    sure I've posted some wrong answers to a few inquiries, but not many over
    the years.

    Wes Newell, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Paul

    Mike Guest

    Ok I'm wrong but the OP's question was that he had 2 sticks of 256 kingston
    pc3200 and he wanted to go upto 1 gig and wanted to (if possible) run in
    dual-channel mode. His options were to get a stick of 512 which means the
    2x256 will run in dual-channel mode and the 512 in single. His other option
    was to get 2 sticks of 512's and run them in dual-channel mode so if he had
    to buy 2 new sticks of 512's why would he buy different speeds or different
    makes of memory?
    Also if you mix say pc2100 and pc2700 in dual channel mode (as in your
    brother's case) what speed would they run at?

    MikeE

    Mike, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Paul

    abc Guest

    Wrong again. I had 1 512 DIMM in slot 3 and 2*256 in slots 1 & 2.
    This ran in dual channel mode. Both channels must have the same amount of
    memory. Dimm 3 is one channel and Dimms 1 & 2 are the second channel, which
    is why the mem slots are laid out the way they are.

    Different memory specs will probably result in the memory running at the
    speed of the lower spec dimm, unless it is over ridden in the BIOS.

    abc, Apr 5, 2005
  11. This is correct. At least it worked fine this way on my Epox 8RDA+. I had
    2*256 Kingston HyperX 256MB PC3000 modules and one channel and a Corsair XMS
    512MB PC2700 module in the other. The machine ran in dual channel mode, and
    all memory ran at PC2700 speed. I ended up with a machine configured this
    way, because I had used some parts I had lying around. Now that I've
    upgraded the CPU and RAM, I bought a matched set of 2*512MB PC3200s. I
    don't believe you necessarily need a matched set. But I've built enough
    machines to know that some can be awfully picky about RAM, so I always buy
    matched sets now. Also, they tend to be a little cheaper than two single
    sticks.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Apr 5, 2005
  12. Paul

    Doug Guest

    My brother's mix of PC2100 and PC2700 in dual channel mode runs overclocked
    to 140Mhz FSB @ 3-3-3-11.

    Doug, Apr 5, 2005
  13. Paul

    Doug Guest

    I read on Kingston's website that you can't have more than two sticks of
    memory in the NF7s v2.0 running at 400Mhz FSB, I think the NF7s V2.0
    motherboard manual states the same thing.

    Doug, Apr 5, 2005
  14. Paul

    Mike Guest

    So the OP's best choice (and cheapest) is to get a stick of 512 which will
    give him dual channel mode and 1gig which is what he wanted, correct?

    MikeE

    Mike, Apr 5, 2005
  15. Yes. I have the NF7-S2, and it states that it supports PC3200 (FSB 400) in
    dual channel mode only if two sticks are used. It will support dual channel
    mode with three sticks at FSB 333, meaning slower RAM is useable.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Apr 5, 2005
  16. Only if he's not running at FSB 400. See my response to Doug. At least
    this is what I read in the manual for my NF7-S2. So the OP should
    definitely check the manual for his motherboard. He may need to use slower
    RAM and a slower bus speed, which kind of defeats the purpose of dual
    channel RAM, eh? ;-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Apr 5, 2005
  17. Paul

    MikeE Guest

    I see... You are right the OP has 2 sticks of 256 DDR400 and an NF7-S 2.0
    and the manual does say Memory supports 2 DIMM DDR400 (Max 2 GB) and it does
    suggest using DIMM3 and DIMM2 sockets for that.
    I also always use matching memory modules (if more than one module is used)
    as I learned over the years like you said, some motherboards are picky about
    mixing different makes of memory.

    MikeE

    MikeE, Apr 5, 2005
  18. I found that the blurb may say 400 not supported with 3 sticks...but it
    works anyway :)

    Lester Piglet, Apr 6, 2005
  19. A bit late on parade but only one person has given the correct answer on
    this thread and it was claimed incorrect.
    I'm running 1 gig of ram with 1x512MB, 2x256MB all at bit over PC3200 speed
    (200+MHz). Did this following advice from many people who knew this was
    possible.
    This board does not need to drop to 133Mhz with three chips at all.

    Mike

    Michael George, Apr 10, 2005
  20. Well then the manual is wrong, because it clearly says DDR3200 is supported
    in *two* stick configuration at FSB400. Pardon us for reading the manual!

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Apr 10, 2005