    Hi, I have a 6watt (12V @ 0.52A) fan I'd like to use. What wattage are the
    onboard fan headers on the NF7-S v2 motherboard rated at? Thanks much !!

    rms

    rms, Aug 18, 2004

  2. rms

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Hi, I have a 6watt (12V @ 0.52A) fan I'd like to use. What wattage are the
    I don't know the exact wattage, but I wouldn't run a 6 watt fan on it anyway.
    Your always better off using your power supply to run the fans unless they are
    very low wattage like under 3 Watts maybe IMO.

    PRIVATE1964, Aug 18, 2004

  3. rms

    BigBadger Guest

    The headers are officially rated for 6W .... but I'd keep below that if I
    were you because a fan draws higher current during start up. I'd use 4W as a
    max.

    BigBadger, Aug 18, 2004
  4. rms

    borolad Guest

    In general only headers on Abit MOBO's can and do handle 6 watts, most
    if not all others should be classed as 3 watts or less. You can risk
    burning out the 3-pin header on your MOBO if you draw too much power
    from the MOBO headers.

    Most fans need more to ' spin up ', and less when ' spun '. Chassis
    and CPU 12 volt cooling fans generally draw very little power; less
    than two watts for a 60..mm fan, less than four watts for a 120 mm
    fan. Even if you have six 120 mm fans and four 60 mm ..fans, the
    total power draw from the 12 volt line will be less than three
    amperes.

    Assuming you are correct at 6w, you would be on the borderline,
    personally I wouldn't take the chance I'd just run it off the Molex.
    If you need the ' tacho ' you can split the yellow wire off to plug
    into the header. Don't confuse the Yellow wire on the 4 pin [12 volt]
    with the Yellow wire from the 3 pin [speed sensor].

    A fan this size is gonna give one hell of a dB you might want to
    consider running it at 7 volts :

    The 'Molex 4 pin connector', looks like this:

    Red 5 volts -|----Red
    Black Negative -|----Black/Negative
    Black Negative -|----Black/Negative
    Yellow 12 volts -|----Yellow

    The '3 pin MOBO connector' looks like this:

    Yellow Speed Sensor -|----Yellow
    Black Negative -|----Black/Negative
    Red 12 volts -|----Red

    Hope this helps