    experience removing patches from a Windows XP for Home?

    TIA

    Javier

    Javier Salazar, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Javier Salazar

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hello fellas, I am back. I have a new problem with my box. Last
    | Thursday, Windows update applied a patch to the NVIDIA drivers. This
    | cause my box to hang for about 5 minutes after it splashes the "Windows
    | XP for Home" screen. After the 5 minutes, the scrolling green dots
    | appear and the box boots up and runs as normal. Does anyone have
    | experience removing patches from a Windows XP for Home?
    |
    | TIA
    |
    | Javier

    Hi Javier -

    What driver was updated? Not sure: go to Windows Update... then, under
    Other Options (on the left), click on View Installation History.

    Once you know the driver that was updated, you can use the driver rollback
    feature in Device Manager.

    Personal advice: never apply device driver updates from Windows Update. Get
    them only from the hardware manufacturer.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Javier Salazar

    Jef Norton Guest

    .... And...

    Another thought: If you haven't installed anything else, or you haven't
    installed much, check System Restore. The device driver update from
    Microsoft should have triggered Windows XP taking a System Restore
    checkpoint before applying the update.

    You can always roll back to before the update using System Restore.

    Anything you've updated since the Restore point will have to be reapplied.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Apr 13, 2004
  4. The only thing the patch says is "NVIDIA Corp. Multimeida software
    update'. As for rolling back. I tried to use the 'System Restore' to
    back to one day before the update was done. It did not solve the problem.

    TIA

    Javier

    Javier Salazar, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Javier Salazar

    ICee Guest

    I had this same problem after updating using the driver from MS. I
    removed the nVidia drivers by running Driver Cleaner, then installed the
    nVidia 3.13 drivers.
    http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ (Driver Cleaner)
    http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?9.255 (nVidia driver).

    ICee, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Javier Salazar, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Javier Salazar

    ICee Guest

    You're welcome.

    ICee, Apr 13, 2004
  8. you can always roll back to the old driver by going to Device manager.

    messagebyproxy, Apr 14, 2004
  9. I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
    problem while booting up. I was even tempted to format the drive and
    re-install Windows XP. Only thing that stopped me was that I could not
    format the hard drive or Fdisk it ( I am running NTFS). If I find out
    how to drop the NTFS file system, I still may re-do the box.

    Javier

    Javier Salazar, Apr 14, 2004
  10. Javier Salazar

    Per Nielsen Guest

    You can use a Win98 boot-disk for that. Remove the non-dos drive and then
    format. Your drive will now be FAT32.

    Per Nielsen, Apr 14, 2004
  11. Javier Salazar

    Morgan Guest

    I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
    The XP CD will do that for you during the setup. It will ask you where you
    want the install and if you want to format the drive and whether to use
    FAT32 or NTFS.

    Also an application like Partition Magic 8.x will do this for you, as well
    as many other disk tasks, without losing the contents of the drive.

    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    Regards

    Morgan

    Morgan, Apr 14, 2004
  12. I think I like this suggestion better. I would rather start with a
    clean installation.

    Thank You

    Javier

    Javier Salazar, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Javier Salazar

    blah Guest

    If you HDD is over a certain size you may not be offered Fat32 as an option.
    I am not sure of the size limit though.

    blah, Apr 15, 2004
  14. Javier Salazar

    BBTACO Guest

    Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition as FAT32
    if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over 4GB
    in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.

    BBTACO, Apr 15, 2004
  15. Javier Salazar

    patrickp Guest

    Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
    and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
    37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.

    I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Apr 15, 2004
  16. Javier Salazar

    BBTACO Guest

    Did you format the drives using a Windows boot disk or something like
    partition magic? I know Windows 2000 and XP cannot format a hard drive to
    FAT32 if it is larger than 32GB. But they can read large FAT32 partitions.
    Maybe Windows 98SE is able to format a drive larger than 32GB in FAT32?

    BBTACO

    BBTACO, Apr 16, 2004
  17. Javier Salazar

    blah Guest

    We are talking about what WinXP will allow you to do during setup.
    I had WinME on a 36 Gb FAT32 partition, so yes it can be done using a
    Win98/ME setup disk and fdisk, but just not with the WinXP setup routine,
    which is what the original poster was contemplating doing.

    blah, Apr 16, 2004
  18. Javier Salazar

    Robert Guest

    The limit for Windows 2000/XP during setup is 32GB, but Windows 98SE/ME do
    not have that limitation. See MS KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314463

    Fdisk that comes with Windows 98SE/ME might show incorrect size for larger
    than 64GB but will work for larger drives. See MS KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

    Fdisk has a limit of 512GB. See MS KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280737

    Because Windows 98/SE does not support 48 bit LBA it has a limit of 137GB.
    See Seagate article: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

    But apparently Scandisk and Defrag have problems with drives over 127GB
    because they are 16bit applications. See MS KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q184006

    Robert, Apr 16, 2004
  19. Javier Salazar

    patrickp Guest

    Yes, BBTACO, formatted with FDISK and FORMAT from a W98 boot disk. I
    think there is a limit to the size W98 can see in FDISK, but M$ do a
    patch for this; patch no. 263044USA8.

    Ah, yes, see the article & patch dl here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044. Says
    the limit (without the patch) that FDISK can see is 64GB - guess you
    had half that value for some reason! ;-)

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Apr 16, 2004
  20. Here is what I did. I used the install CD to re-install Windows XP.
    This allowed me to delete
    the current partions, re-partition my 120Gig HHD into 3 partions and to
    install the OS. This all
    started after I applied an NVIDIA driver update from MS which caused my
    system to take five
    minutes to boot up. After the re-installation of the OS, this still
    happens. Luckely I was able to
    attache my hard drive to the SATA controller. By doing this my machine
    boots up in under a
    minute.

    Thanks

    Javier