[NF7-S2] Sound degradation in games

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Kevin C., Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Kevin C.

    Kevin C. Guest

    When I am playing some games, the sound quality will start out ok but over
    time it gets choppy (sounds like static). This happens in Thief 3, Evil
    Genius, Deus Ex: Invisible War. So far it has not happened in UT2004 or GTA
    Vice City. Never happens in Windows (desktop). Not sure where the problem is
    but maybe you can tell me something about it. Thanks for any help.

    NVMixer report:

    nForce VAPU/Sonata
    nForce2 MCP2S rev A1
    Realtek ALC658
    Single AC97, 6 channels

    System Specs:

    NF7-S2 BIOS Revision 12
    nForce Platform Driver 4.27 -- nvapu.sys 6.14.0431.0000
    Logitech Z-3 speaker system (2.1)
    Windows 2000 SP4
    DirectX 9.0c

    Other:
    Athlon XP 3200+
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Corsair 512MB RAM

    Kevin C., Oct 13, 2004

  2. Kevin C.

    @ndrew Guest

    Not going to be much help as I always love the ABIT boards except for
    one thing .. sound .. always use an aftermarket sound card or in the
    case of my Nvidia board bought an ASUS which has soundstorm o(
    Think you may be screwed.
    regards
    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Kevin C.

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    When I am playing some games, the sound quality will start out ok but over
    It could be caused by different things. I had the same trouble with my NF7-S,
    but somehow the problem has cleared up.

    It could be a hardware and or driver issue, or the southbridge getting too hot.
    There is also a setting in the bios for PCI latency which I think is default at
    32 you could try 64 instead. It didn't help me any though.

    The best thing I think you should try would be to install a passive heatsink on
    the southbridge. If you don't know where it is it is located it is between the
    AGP slot and the IDE connections.

    The heatsink has to be thin enough so it will not interfer with your graphic
    card. You can use double sided thermal tape to attach it if you are worried
    about the warranty so it can be removed. If your not worried then a thermal
    adhesive is better. The best would be a thermal compound and a way to keep the
    heatsink on maybe tape or super glue drops on the corners of the chip and
    thermal compound in the middle.

    I used either Arctic Silver Alumina I believe.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 13, 2004