    of my NF7? Or is it just a waste of time?

    --
    Doug

    pigdos, Nov 6, 2006

  2. pigdos

    Dylan C Guest

    pigdos wrote:
    > I remember reading somewhere that the S. Bridge on the NF7s v2.0 runs very
    > hot, but I have a plain-jane NF7. Should I put a heatsink on the S. Bridge
    > of my NF7? Or is it just a waste of time?

    if it needed one, it would've come with one.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Nov 6, 2006

  3. pigdos

    pigdos Guest

    Dylan, it's a well-known fact the S. Bridge on Nf7s v2.0 motherboards gets
    very hot:

    "The south bridge MCP-T chip in these nForce2 boards does indeed run VERY
    hot! I have measured temps at the surface of the chip in the realm of
    60-65C. I would recommend that ANYONE running a mobo with the nForce2
    chipset, ESPECIALLY if it is running the MCP-T south bridge, put a heat sink
    on that puppy. It is also worth investing in a decent cooler for the North
    bridge if you are running an Abit board (may apply to others, also) as the
    stock cooler supplied by Abit is barely adequate at stock speeds."

    source:
    http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-...222-nforce2-boards-and-south-bridge-heat.html

    I'm just curious if the plain-jane NF7 has the same problem...

    --
    Doug

    pigdos, Nov 6, 2006
  4. pigdos

    Dylan C Guest

    pigdos wrote:
    > Dylan, it's a well-known fact the S. Bridge on Nf7s v2.0 motherboards gets
    > very hot:
    >
    > "The south bridge MCP-T chip in these nForce2 boards does indeed run VERY
    > hot! I have measured temps at the surface of the chip in the realm of
    > 60-65C. I would recommend that ANYONE running a mobo with the nForce2
    > chipset, ESPECIALLY if it is running the MCP-T south bridge, put a heat sink
    > on that puppy. It is also worth investing in a decent cooler for the North
    > bridge if you are running an Abit board (may apply to others, also) as the
    > stock cooler supplied by Abit is barely adequate at stock speeds."
    >
    > source:
    > http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-...222-nforce2-boards-and-south-bridge-heat.html
    >
    > I'm just curious if the plain-jane NF7 has the same problem...

    It sounds like you've already decided. A heatsink won't cost that much
    and if it will give you a little peace of mind, its probably worth it.
    And it can't hurt, right? I would just be suprised if it actually
    needed one and abit overlooked it.

    I've never dealt with the version 2 boards, just a vanilla NF7 v1, but I
    never noticed any problems with it.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Nov 6, 2006