    northbridge fan connector really limited as to the amperage it can provide? I
    only say this because the stock chipset fan looks really cheezy and light in
    comparison to even an old 486 ball-bearing fan.

    Wblane, May 26, 2004

  2. Wblane

    GargoyleBG Guest

    replace it, the crap thing started rattling on 2nd month of use, this is my
    2nd mobo of same type

    GargoyleBG, May 26, 2004

  3. Wblane

    DDR400 Guest

    Yeah, what GargoyleBG said. Get a better one. I have the IC7-G and the
    northbridge fan quit spinning. The board was six months old when I noticed
    this. Nothing burned up and I have no idea how long it was like that, but I
    suspect a very long time. It didn't hurt anything, but the Northbridge chip was
    toasty. That's not good for it and it could fail and take out your cpu as well.
    I bought an Northbridge HSF from excaliberpc.com that is constucted somewhat like
    an orb and it's still working well after four months. It also has more surface
    area so that if it did stop spinning, the chip would not get as hot. I think I
    paid $10 with shipping.

    Another option would be to install a passive heatsink. I didn't do that because
    I have an SLK800U on the cpu and I wasn't sure what would fit.

    ~snoozy~

    DDR400, May 29, 2004