    multiplier if the cpu is unlocked, so what does that 5th bit get me?
    I'm going to buy one of these two boards Saturday so any help greatly
    appreciated.

    dgk, Nov 13, 2003

  2. dgk

    Skid Guest

    Athlon XPs use either the high or low sets of multipliers, depending on how
    the fifth bit is set.

    For example, a 2100+ defaults to 13x133. On a board that can't change the
    fifth bit, you can raise the multiplier but you can't lower it. That limits
    your flexibility to run higher bus speeds with lower multis.

    There are workarounds, and not everybody needs to do it. All things being
    equal, though, it's a good feature to have.

    See http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/Workarounds.htm for a mind-numbingly
    complex explanation.

    Skid, Nov 13, 2003

  3. dgk

    dgk Guest

    I lean back toward the NF7S. For a 2500+ what is the implication?
    Yes, someone does have a lot of time on their hands.

    dgk, Nov 13, 2003
  4. dgk

    Skid Guest

    The simple answer is that for a 2500+ it doesn't matter. All most people do
    is raise the bus speed until either the cpu or ram can't take any more. The
    simplest OC, assuming you have decent PC3200 ram, is to leave the multi
    alone and raise the fsb from 166 to 200 for an instant 3200+.

    But I still like the NF7-S as the overclocker's weapon of choice.

    Skid, Nov 13, 2003