Nf7s-s w/3000 Barton...High low beep code!!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by John, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I just put together my NF7-s rev 2 and AMd 3000 Barton FSB400 and 1 gig
    Corsair. No problems and installed XP slick as can be.

    While I was booting and rebooting installing sofware the PC made a small
    pop sound and stopped running. A slight smell of electrical smoke tickled
    my nose!!!!

    I shut of the Power Supply and sat there in shock.

    Here is where I can use some feedback.

    After I let it sit a bit I turned the PS switch back on. (the case is open
    so I can see inside) the red light by the SATA contoller comes on so PS
    appears OK. I now turn on PC. I get continuose High Low tones for 3 seconds,
    the fans start to spin up and stop then everything is quite.

    I did a search for "PC Beep Tones" and read where the High Low tones mean
    the CPU is bad.

    Subsiquent boot up to get the tones don't work now. All I get is a brief
    spin up of the fans.

    I hooked up a second power supply and gave it a try. same thing. Fans start
    and then stop.

    I took my old ( perfectly functional) AMD Duron 1.4 and put it in the the
    NF7-S and it gives me the High Low (sounds like a European Ambulance) tones
    and fan surge each time. This time it does it until I turn the power off at
    the PS. Same event each time I try it.

    I hooked up the old power supply to my Kg7-R sitting on a cardboard box.
    First I try it with no CPU and the fans spin. I put in the 1.4 and same
    thing. I put in the 3000+ same thing. This is not a great test but I did not
    want to tear the NF-7 out of the case yet.

    So at this point I want to think that the NF7-S burned up. Even though the
    High Low tones are suppose to mean it is the CPU.

    Before I call NewEgg I thought I would run it buy everyone to see what you
    thought???

    Thanks
    John

    John, Aug 3, 2003

  2. John

    BigBadger Guest

    Hi Lo siren can also be down to a bad board....a pop sound is usually down
    to an exploding capacitor. As it would not appear to be the psu check the
    boards capacitors, the damage should be quite obvious.

    BigBadger, Aug 3, 2003

  3. John

    dr_hardware Guest

    Sounds like a component on the MB blew up (or burned up) and it may have
    killed the CPU. Sounds like a new MB is in order (and possibly CPU as
    well).

    dr_hardware, Aug 3, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    Do you think it makes any difference CPU wise if the board still makes the
    same high low beeps with out the CPU installed?

    I guess it would be worth my while to reinstall the old MB and put the 3000+
    in to see if the board boots. Since I am going to have to take the MB out
    anyway <g>

    John

    John, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Hi there BB

    I've got a Watson 40A variable Voltage (3~15V) bench power supply that has
    just now blown the two main capacitors - domed tops and leaking brown gunk.
    :-( It's a £150 unit so it ought to be worth fixing - are the capacitors
    likely to have taken anything else with them..? The 5A mains fuse
    blew........

    I'd have emailed but I don't have your current eaddress...

    Ciao...

    [UK]_Nick...

    Nick M V Salmon, Aug 4, 2003
  6. John

    Wblane Guest

    The high-low tones on my NF7-s v2.0 indicate the CPU is overheating. Try going
    into your BIOS and raising the CPU overheat alarm. If your CPU was dead you
    wouldn't get any tones whatsoever (since the CPU is the one generating the
    tones ultimately).

    Wblane, Aug 6, 2003
  7. John

    Fox Mouldy Guest

    I've had this happen twice before with motherboards and on both occasions it
    was caused by incorrectly seated memory.

    I can't remember the exact purpose of the component (votage reg?) but it was
    a small (5mm square) device with three pins the centre one of which was
    unused, the back of the device was soldered to the board. This was obviously
    heat damaged on inspection.

    On one board it was possible to get a component number off the device and I
    obtained a replacement that I installed and recovered the motherboard. The
    other time the board was in warranty and I just got a replacement.

    I suggest checking for any obviously heat damaged components near the memory
    and replace if you are able and its outside the warrantry otherwise just get
    it right back to the shop and get a replacement.

    Richard

    Fox Mouldy, Sep 3, 2003