    and this reduced the number of errors on test #5 dramatically to somewhere
    around 7000. Is memtest #5 accessing RAM in a manner inconsistent with how
    it would normally be accessed? Is it even worth worrying about?

    pigdos, Aug 21, 2006

  2. pigdos

    Dylan C Guest

    I don't claim to be an expert, but lots of people run with "unstable"
    overclocks. If it works for you, great. The exception to this rule is
    if you plan on doing and distributed computing projects like Prime95,
    SETI, etc. Or even if you do intensive mathematical computations using
    MATLAB or something. In these cases, data corruption can occur and
    report inaccurate results. There is also a slight chance that this same
    behavior could result in general data corruption or system failure under
    normal use, but that is a risk in all overclocked systems.

    If you want to be safe, back off the FSB until Memtest runs error free.
    It should take only a few MHz and the CPU speed loss will probably be
    unnoticeable.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Aug 24, 2006