    Both the XP Pro and 98SE on my system periodically lose the Logitech USB mouse.
    Sometimes it takes three reboots before the mouse is once again found.
    I never had this problem when the mouse was on the PS/2 port <shrug>.

    Wblane, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Wblane

    Fishface Guest

    Oh, I hadn't heard that.

    We just got one of these to house a 160GB Seagate drive from a sale du jour at
    Fry's to backup the drives at work:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-602

    I plugged it into a Mac OSX computer and *nothing.* Begin lengthy troubleshoot
    procedure. It turns out that OSX has major problems with firewire- still- three
    years after its release (pathetic showing). I booted with an OS9 CD and it worked
    great. You have your choice of USB 2 and firewire, and it's got a good quality feel.
    It costs more than some others, but what price do you put on your sanity (and data)?

    Fishface, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Wblane

    Dave Guest

    OS9.WHAT? Several OS9 versions. Care to elaborate?

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Wblane

    Fishface Guest

    Dave
    Ah, you know what? I don't take this stuff home with me. It
    came with a Quicksilver dual 800 G4, if that's any help. I will
    check later...

    Fishface, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Wblane

    Dave Guest

    Ahhh... I guess it would 9.2 or higher if it was the disc that came with
    the machine. OS10.0 was rushed out and then a heap of patches were released
    to fix problems, including the firewire problem.

    Going from OS10.0 - 10.1 - 10.2 - 10.3 via update discs can be troublesome.
    Updating via full version discs is usually painless, unless you have to
    update the PRAM. Updating the PRAM is not hard, just fiddly and you have to
    follow the instructions exactly. Some machines need PRAM updates to fix
    problems when using OSX. Computers are fun!

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Wblane

    Fishface Guest

    Oops, I forgot to check!

    That machine needs help. It was bought used from a graphic artist. It
    takes about four minutes to boot, that can't be right. I'm trying to interpret
    the logs in the console application-- two things take over a minute? The
    Zip drive ate a disk, and the Iomega Tools says there is no disk in there,
    but sees the drive. The guy who sold it said that sometimes you have to
    restart it a few times for it to see the Zip. Right! At this point, the UPS
    shipping computer kicks its ass all over the place. The 22" Apple Cinema
    Display is sure nice, though! Lots of room for toolbars and palettes...

    Fishface, Dec 19, 2004