    I've got two sticks of Kingston Hyperx (512MB, PC3200, 2-3-3-11) in
    dual-channel mode. A mobile Barton @ 2600Mhz (13x multiplier, 1.93 V Vcore).
    Vchipset @ 1.7V, VAGP @ 1.7V, VRAM @ 2.6V. Latest BIOS installed.

    Doug, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Doug

    Larry Gagnon Guest

    I doubt this is an NF7 limitation. More likely you simply have a CPU that
    won't go above 200. Same for me here. It is a bit of the luck of the draw
    sometimes.

    Larry Gagnon

    Larry Gagnon, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Could be the cpu, could be the ram. I wouldn't trust any ram badged
    Kingston or Kingmax to run above spec. ( I know what I am talking about
    here, I've just had too many hassels with both of them myself).

    for example:
    I had some Kingmax ram in my nf7 and it went just fine until I installed
    XP SP2 ... after that lots of bsod. Even after I removed SP2, the bsod
    kept happening (probably because DirectX didn't get reset from 9c to 9b
    when I uninstalled SP2) and the crashes only stopped after I got some
    crucial brand ram and chucked the kingmax, been steady as a rock since
    then.

    Had worse problems with kingston in the past.

    Dear OP: If you want to push your system, go to sites like tomshardware
    and anandtech and read their comparative reviews. Go for the stuff that
    is 1)the most compatible and 2) the most stable - in RAM this usually
    seems to boil down to three brands: Corsair, Crucial and possibly
    Legend. I know there is other good stuff out there, but ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 19, 2005
  4. I have got the same cpu and it is not possible to get it run stable with
    more than 183 mhz fsb, even with 1,9V Vram (although the stepping is
    supposed to be overclocker friendly). I am sure, that this is a limitation
    by the cpu. It needs a little bit luck, to catch one running at 200 mhz fsb
    or even more. Well I only have air cooling, so I have a bad feeling with
    more than 1,75V Vcore or more than 60°C cpu temp under stress, but with my
    cpu I do not think that it is a cooling problem not to reach higher fsb.

    bye
    Andreas

    Andreas Scheer, Apr 19, 2005
  5. Doug

    Conor Guest

    Guess you don't understand overclocking...

    There IS a limit to how far you can push a CPU and there are no
    guarantees how much you can o/c each CPU.

    Conor, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I've been overclocking CPU's since the 80486 numbnuts. Overclocking isn't
    the issue since I can run @ 2600 Mhz and 200Mhz FSB for 8 hours plus on
    memtest but I can't run @ 2525Mhz and 202 Mhz for even an hour w/o getting
    errors. Crawl back in your hole...

    Doug, Apr 19, 2005
  7. Doug

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Several things...

    I'm not familiar with mobiles. Is that cpu rated for 166 or 200 MHz
    FSB?

    Aren't mobile cpu's operating voltage less than 1.65 - the non mobile
    voltage?

    Have you tried just changing the memory setting from 2.0 to 2.5 CL?

    1.93 volts is cooking! 1.93 on a mobile sounds like you should be
    using water cooling. Have you ever over heated (80+ degrees) this
    cpu? Are you the original owner of the cpu?

    I would be inclined to try another cpu, or slower memory CL setting,
    before convicting the motherboard.

    Also, sometimes when you raise one voltage, like chipset voltage,
    causes you to have to raise other voltages simultaneously to gain
    stability (a chip interface issue). You might try a lower "chipset
    voltage" while also trying a lower cpu voltage.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Doug

    Doug Guest

    The mobile Athlons are rated to a max of 2.0V Vcore. The highest I've ever
    seen it at this Vcore (running UT2004 w/32 bots on a huge map) was 52
    degrees Celsius. I've got a Thermalright SLK900u w/a Vantec Tornado 92mm fan
    cooling it. I'm the original owner of the CPU.

    The CPU is only rated for 166Mhz, but there are no Athlon XP's rated for a
    200Mhz FSB.

    Lower chipset voltage is a no-go. I've tested it extensively at lower
    chipset voltages and the system isn't even stable @ 200Mhz @ lower chipset
    voltages.

    The Nforce2 chipset is only rated for 200Mhz operation right?

    Doug, Apr 20, 2005
  9. Uh, the Athlon XP 3200+ runs at 400MHz, or 200 according to your ratings.
    There *are* 400MSB Bartons out there. (Remember, FSB BIOS settings are
    doubled.) You are correct, nForce2 runs at a max of 400MHz FSB. (Once
    again, 200 in "yourspeak".)

    IIRC, the Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ runs at a 266MHz FSB, which is actually 133
    in the BIOS, *not* 166. But no matter whether it runs at 266 or 333, you're
    still getting more than your $$'s worth running it air-cooled at 400.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Apr 20, 2005
  10. Doug

    JK Guest

    I think NF7's are a bit picky with ram. I have seen that it didn't
    like geil pc3200 even for fsb200.

    Now I run fsb221 with 3x256 Mbyte twinmos pc3700.

    Further I believe single sided ram are best. But they are probably
    rare among 512 Mb modules.

    My cpu is an unlocked barton 2500+ (for fsb166).

    Make some google searchs with: nf7 "your ram"

    best regards

    John

    JK, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Doug

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Ok.

    Have you looked up what the max cpu temp should be when running at 2
    volts? Usually it will derate to 50 degrees C or something like that.
    Finding a spec sheet with the data on it might be hard to find. The
    manufactures are holding back on publicizing specs a lot these days.

    The max cpu temp spec rating is normally applicable only when normal
    operating voltages (like 1.45 or something, don't know what mobiles
    are) are applied. When you run the voltage up towards max the chip
    temp must be reduced simultaneously for the cpu not to melt or fail.
    The question would be how much the temp needs to be reduced in this
    case.

    I think you meant to say that there or no "mobile" cpu's that are 200
    MHz....

    Having to run the chipset voltage up sounds like something (cpu or
    motherboard) might have overheated in the past * or * luck of the
    draw. 200 MHz on the cpu is a lot higher than 166 MHz (its rating).
    10 percent would be a normal overclock but 20 percent is pushing it
    regardless of voltage or temp.

    - HAL9000, Apr 20, 2005
  12. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Is it harder to get over 200Mhz when running in dual-channel mode? I thought
    Kingston had a good rep, even if I am using their bottom-of-the-line HyperX.

    Doug, Apr 20, 2005
  13. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Right now, I don't have any problems running the CPU @ 2600Mhz and 200Mhz
    FSB. I can run a 32 bot game of UT2004 for 8 hours straight or Memtest with
    no problems, but it's not summer yet. It'll be interesting to see what will
    happen when the temp gets up to around 32 degrees celsius (roughly 100
    degrees farenheit?).

    There are other people running Mobile Bartons at higher Vcores (1.95V to
    2.1V Vcores). At anything higher than 1.93V Vcore my Mobile Barton gets
    unstable.

    The reason I think it's the FSB is because if I reduce my overclock to
    ~2500Mhz (by increasing the FSB and lowering the multiplier) memtest fails.

    Doug, Apr 20, 2005
  14. Doug

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Apr 20, 2005
  15. Doug

    Wes Newell Guest

    It runs at whatever you set it for, but the default is 200MHz (400FSB, not
    400MHz)
    All mobiles have a default FSB of 133MHz (266FSB). the 266 refers to data
    rates, not clock speeds. if you want an identidier for the 266, it would
    be 266Mbps since the data rate is twice the clock rate on th4e EV6 bus.
    For more info on the FSB, see The Real Front Side Bus in link below.

    Wes Newell, Apr 20, 2005
  16. Doug

    JK Guest

    Yes, but I run dual-mode with 3 ram modules and at fsb220.

    John

    JK, Apr 21, 2005
  17. Doug

    JK Guest

    See value ram test at anandtech
    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392

    Kingston is not good there.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Apr 21, 2005
  18. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I'm not using Kingston ValueRAM, I'm using their cheapest HyperX PC3200
    (they have a very-low latency version of HyperX as well).

    Doug, Apr 22, 2005
  19. Doug

    andy Guest

    I have a NF7-S v2 with xp2500+ mobile cpu

    default fsb is 133 at 1.45v

    mine runs at 240x10.5 @1.75v temps 42c idle 52c max

    chipset 1.6v

    Ram is crucial 2x512 pc4000 Ballistix @2.5,3,3,6 2cmd dual channel (2 slots
    further away from cpu)
    the only way to get an high fsb imo is to use NF7D26-MantaRaysXT-2T bios

    ive tried various modded bioses, this one suits me

    andy, Apr 23, 2005
  20. Doug

    Paul GoodBar Guest

    Is it stable at 2.5ghz ??