    individually they all work fine thru 2 passes of memtest. I guess I'll have
    to ebay my two 512MB sticks and get another single stick of 1GB PC3200.
    Anyone else run across this problem?

    Doug, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Duh, now that I've actually RTFM'd I've discovered that you can't run three
    DIMMs at 200Mhz. Color me stupid. It turns out another
    issue was the amount of Vcore I was feeding to my CPU, I had to back off to
    1.9V from 1.925V. Strangely enough, the system is stable now. Overclocking
    sure has become a giant PITA in comparision to what it was in the old days
    (when you had a more limited choice of FSB's, multipliers, Vcore etc.).

    Doug, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Doug

    abc Guest

    I thought you could run up to 2 GB at 400, but 3GB at 333. Both memory
    channels need to have the same amount on total memory.
    Try putting the 2*512 in slot 1&2 and the 1GB DIMM in slot 3

    I had 3 DIMMs full with 1GB at 400. Maybe the two brands of memory aren't
    compatible at that speed.

    For future reference, set everything back to default, then test, before you
    complain about something being unstable.

    abc, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Maybe you should RTFM. Abit clearly states that only TWO DIMM's are
    supported for DDR400 (TWO DIMM DDR400). Do you understand written English?
    Fuckwad.

    --
    there is no .sig

    Doug, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Le 11/08/2005 22:32, Doug a ecrit :
    i have the manual under my eyes. the 2 closet dimm are dimm1 and dimm2.
    dimms sould be installed from dimm3 to dimm1.
    have you tried this?

    also check you "identical" dimm with cpuz to see if spd parameters
    are really the same.

    i have two differents 256k dimm, they can't work on my NF7 v2.0
    with or without dual channel.
    but they worked fine on an A7N8X-x but i flashed the lasted bios
    released with "better memory support".

    so next time i will buy asus motherboard who have better support
    when the product is "old".

    Franck Pissotte, Aug 12, 2005
  6. I have an NF7-S V2.0 with 2x512MB running at 200MHz dual channel mode.
    I have ben thinking of getting 1024MB and putting it in the thirs slot
    but according to the manual only 166MHz would be supported. I think
    any advantage would be wiped out by my CPU going from a 3200 Barton to
    a 2500 Barton.

    I have read of a user that managed to get 200MHz with 2x512MB and
    1024MB, with dual channel even. Maybe the trick is to ignore the SPD
    parameters, go into memory expert mode and set it to the highest
    common settings?

    Ak

    Alfred Kaufmann, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Doug

    Doug Guest

    There is a known problem w/some motherboards (incl. socket 754 and Nforce2
    boards) that they cannot have more than one high density DIMM at 200Mhz
    w/the stock BIOS. The Manta Ray BIOS solves this problem by changing the
    CPC. The Manta Ray BIOS was the only way I could get my two 1GB DIMMs to
    work in dual channel on my NF7s v2.0.

    Doug, Aug 12, 2005
  8. On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, "Doug" wrote:

    Having not read, or mis-read the manual is normal.

    For this, I'll agree with you, and color you stupid.

    Brian Brunner, Aug 13, 2005
  9. Doug

    abc Guest

    HAHA this is from someone who didn't read the manual!

    Where does it say *only* 2 DIMM for 400 Mhz? It merely states it "supports"
    this configuration.

    It simply says total system memory system configuration for un-buffered &
    non-EEC DDR 400 DIMM is 2GB, it does not specify only 2 DIMM slots can be
    filled.

    Having had all 3 DIMMs filled and used Dual Channel I know it works. Maybe
    you should google the newsgroup and see how many others are using, or have
    used, similar configurations.

    Apart from reading english I understand it.

    abc, Aug 13, 2005
  10. Doug

    abc Guest

    There are 2 memory controllers DIMM 1 & 2 are 1 channel and DIMM 3 is the
    other, that is probably why they are arranged the way they are on the mobo.
    The manual also suggests you fill DIMM 3 first. If both memory channels have
    the same amount of memory it *can* run at 400 Mhz (assuming memory supports
    this of course). Your best chance is with identical RAM

    Using different brands can be problematic in any board (just look at the
    Asus compatibility charts), for example I have an Asus board with dual
    channel memory but this trick won't work, the DIMMs need to be the same
    size, but even then I have 4 sticks, 2 brands (2* 512 + 2*256) running at
    400 MHz, but both brands don't appear on the compatibility chart, so YMMV as
    they say.

    Though if you are retarded enough to up the voltages, overclock, not read or
    understand the manual, then bleat that things aren't working properly there
    is no help for someone like that. :)

    abc, Aug 13, 2005
  11. Doug

    Bob Troll Guest

    I can confirm operation 2 x 256m + 1 x 512m running in dual channel mode
    here for over a year on my NF7s v2.o board. Currently the ram is running at
    the 2.7v setting in the bios which reports 2.72v. in PC Health.

    The memory modules are matched up as far as manufacturer and cas
    specifications, etc. as well as possible.

    I'm running stock bios ver 27 issue free. I'm not overclocking the fsb but a
    amd2500xp+ mobile processor running at 11.5 x 200 = 2300 (equivalent to a
    amd 3000xp+) is good enough for me rock solid and cool.

    FWIW I highly recommend the Mushkin lev II ram for these boards. With SPD
    specs of 2,2,2,6 It ain't too shabby and the potential for overclocking is
    right there at your fingertips In another machine a pair of mushkin 512m
    sticks reside running pure sweetness. I could now buy a 1gb stick and fully
    expect to have 2gb dc.

    Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

    Bob Troll, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I want to apologize for my post w/the bad manners. I mis-read your post and
    I can't take criticism. Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you.

    --
    there is no .sig

    Doug, Aug 18, 2005