NF8 works with generic, but not with any "good" PSU...?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Cuzman, Aug 27, 2005.

  1. Cuzman

    Cuzman Guest

    I've just built a system that includes the following:

    Abit NF8 http://tinyurl.com/8vs7w
    AMD Sempron 2600+
    1x 512MB Crucial Ballistix
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AIW
    200GB Seagate 7200.8 SATA ST3200826AS
    (...plus DVD, CDRW, FDD & case fans)

    For some reason this setup won't work with the following two power supplies:

    FSP 350W FSP350-60PN(PF) http://tinyurl.com/ba0i
    Antec 430W True430PGB http://tinyurl.com/b9tru

    The red LED on the motherboard comes on to show that power is getting
    through, but nothing wants to start when I press the power button.
    Using both PSUs, the CPU fan appears to "turn over" at the first attempt
    but nothing after that. The power supplies are perfectly fine, as I
    normally have them in two other systems.

    In contrast, the system works perfectly with a crappy 350W generic
    "Tsunami" PSU I have, but yet it has worse amperage levels than both the
    other PSUs on every single rail. I obviously don't wish to use this PSU
    in the long run, but I don't know whether to buy another new PSU. And
    if I do buy another PSU, what do I buy? It could probably also not work.

    I've been trying this all out on a barebones testbed, so there is no
    question of anything shorting out. All the PSUs work perfectly fine in
    any other system I put them in, but this NF8 is my first 24-pin
    motherboard. All of my PSUs are 20-pin, so I am using a 20-to-24-pin
    adapter with all of these.

    I'm completely lost as to what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

    Cuzman, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Cuzman

    John Perry Guest

    I am using a Nextgen Silent PSU (a good one) and I plugged the 20pin
    connector into the AN8 leaving 4 sockets clear. Did you plug in the 4
    way 12V connector into the mobo as well?

    Also, if you use Norton, how do you get Liveupdate to get to the
    server using the NVidia Firewall - I cant find the setting to permit
    access.

    John Perry, Aug 27, 2005