Nforce mobo drivers take care of video card drivers?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by fenceerx, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. fenceerx

    fenceerx Guest

    Hi, I have a Soltek nforce2 motherboard. No onboard graphics (IGP) so I got
    an MX 440 video card. Mobo is the 75frn-l also known as 75frn2-l

    Have been having stability problems so I reinstalled windows XP and this
    time I did not install Nvidia graphics card drivers. I just installed the
    nforce unified driver for the motherboard. The latest one from the Nvidia
    website. A download of 12.9 MB

    Going by the hardware device manager, the display adapter drivers are
    working just fine. And are identified as for a Geforce4 MX 440

    This time the board is working much better

    Thanks
    Fenz

    fenceerx, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Have you tried any OpenGL games? IIRC the graphics driver that ships with XP
    does not support OpenGL, only DirectX. The nForce motherboard drivers do not
    include the nVidia graphics card drivers, you are simply using the default
    one that comes with XP.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Apr 28, 2004

  3. fenceerx

    Ryan Guest

    that is not true if you look at the end of the nForce mobo driver page
    you see that it comes with drivers. they should work..i have an nForce
    2 mobo and 5700 Ultra and it works great. the drivers it comes with are
    old though

    Ryan, Apr 28, 2004
  4. fenceerx

    Spacker Guest

    I stand corrected. I assumed that the nForce drivers would not include
    display drivers as not every nForce based machine would have an nVidia card,
    and therefore it would be silly to include them :\ However, the 52.16
    drivers that ship with the current nForce drivers have known issues with
    some games (most notably the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942), so I
    personally wouldn't use them anyway.

    Dan

    Spacker, Apr 28, 2004