nForce2 200FSB setting causes audio problems!

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by KMS, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. KMS

    KMS Guest

    Hello,

    I have the Abit NF7S 2.0 mobo, one of the first ones which came with new
    northbridge with support for the 200MHz FSB. The CPU is XP2500, which I have
    been running at 10.5x208. Computer has been very stable and Prime95 runs
    hours without errors. The memory is in sync with FSB, and timings are set
    maually at 5/2/2/2.

    Everything has been working good, but there is one very annoying problem:
    When I try to watch movie (DVD or other movie file from hard disk), the
    sound will start to lag the picture and finally the sound gets very
    distorted. To fix that I have to stop the movie and restart. It normally
    takes about 10 minutes after starting the movie before that happen. If I set
    my computer FSB back to 166 (default), everything works fine!

    The sound distortion problem occurs sometimes during a game too, but quite
    rarely.

    To me it seem like the nForce south bridge (which contains the audio) does
    not like if the north bridge FSB is set to 200MHz range. I recall that
    nVidia released a new version of south bridge which support the 200MHz
    operation. Can anyone confirm if that is true?

    Also lately I can't boot my computer to Windows2000 if the FSB speed is set
    to 200MHz... during bootup it gives some error that USBDRV (or something
    like that...) could not be loaded. If I set the FSB to around 207MHz then
    the Windows boots up fine! Go figure...

    Does anyone else have/had problems like I just described?

    I'm using the nVidia's latest 2.45 drivers for the mobo. I think that I
    tried the older drivers... but it didn't solve the problem.

    KMS, Sep 27, 2003

  2. KMS

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    You may want to set your memory timings to something more reasonable, like
    7-3-3-2.0 or 7-2-2-2.0.

    The northbridge is the newer version (C1) that supports (officially) 200 MHz
    FSB on the version 2.0 of the NF7-S. The southbridge has nothing to do with
    the FSB speed, only the northbridge.
    Haven't heard of that before.

    Does anyone else have/had problems like I just described?
    Do you have ACPI enabled and APIC disabled (PNP OS in the BIOS should be set
    to NO). This has fixed audio problems for some.
    I'm running a NF7-S with on-board sound and XP and have had no problems
    (play DVD's and audio tracks with no problems).

    dr_hardwrae, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Hi,

    I am using the NF7-S v2.0 (BIOS#14) with a Barton 2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220 -
    1.75v)) with PC3500cas2 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v) running WinXP-Pro XP1/DX9.0b. I
    am using the nVidia drivers that came on the CD-ROM with this mobo (didn't
    try v2.45 yet). I didn't notice any problems yet with running the FSB @
    220MHz. The only voltages I changed are for the CPU(vCore) and
    Memory(vDimm). I have full intentions of installing a heatsink on the
    Southbridge as it does run very hot (even @ default mobo speeds) but apart
    from adding to the case temp it hasn't caused a problem for me yet. . .

    Did you try running your FSB @ 220Mhz yet?

    Let us know how u get on. . .

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Sep 28, 2003
  4. KMS

    Morgan Guest

    There are other things to consider when you run at 200mhz FSB also......

    If I take the CPU out of my wife's machine (when she isn't looking) and
    place it into my NF7-S revision 2 board here is what I find...
    CPU = XP 2.4 running at 2000 MHz default.

    When ran at 10x200 (2000mhz) the machine will fail memtest, Prime95 and
    crash during 3D mark 2001. Regardless of voltage settings.
    When ran at 9x200 (1800mhz) the machine will pass all the tests.
    When ran at 12x180 (2160mhz) the machine will pass all the tests. Increased
    Vcore to 1.75.

    With running numerous other combinations I have concluded that the CPU
    itself can have a great influence on running at and beyond 200mhz when the
    multiplier and the 200mhz go beyond the actual rating of the CPU - in that
    case 2000 MHz.

    However using my XP 1800 (default speed 1530mhz)....
    I can run at 10x220 = 2200 MHz. With an increased Vcore from 1.5v to 1.65v.
    Prime95, 3Dmark 2001 and memtest all complete with zero problems and
    everything runs great.
    The VDD voltage has to up to 2.9 with using memory timings of 6.2.2.2
    (defaults are 6.3.3.2)

    That is ran with the same setup and other hardware.
    The problem that I have is a limited number of CPU's to form a firm
    conclusion but I do tend to think that the influence of running at 200mhz is
    dependent on the CPU even when the resultant speed is well under the MHz of
    the chip itself.
    The Southbridge chip which gets hot does not get any hotter when the FSB is
    increased as the speed of that chip stays constant.
    I have read about sound distortion as well and found, for me, it has
    occurred in one game called Command and Conquer Generals but only when
    pushing my wife's CPU as described above. When ran with my own CPU it is
    fine.

    Morgan, Sep 28, 2003
  5. KMS

    Q Guest

    The problem is heat build-up in the SB - it gets VERY hot.
    Lap it (and the h/sink) down to 1200, apply a thin layer of goop and attach
    the sink FIRMLY.
    Solved the same problem I had - no more sync/skipping problems.

    Sounds very much like excessively tight memory timings - which usually
    corrupts Windows.
    If you have an image of your OS part.n, you can just restore it - recommend
    Drive Image, if you haven't.

    Q, Sep 28, 2003
  6. KMS

    KMS Guest

    I tend to agree with this one. I played with the BIOS settings, and found
    that when I increased the Chipset voltage to 1.7V the problem seem to gone
    away. I need to make some more testing... but first impression looks good.
    I'll consider to attach a heat sink to SB.
    I do not think that this is the problem, because once I restore the FSB
    speed back to either 166 or 208, windows boots fine. No need to fix anything
    on the file system after failed boot at 200...

    I have another theory behind this "208 works but 200 doesn't". If we
    calculate how much higher the 166.66... FSB is from 133.33... the ratio is
    1.25. If I multiply the 166.66 with this magic 1.25, I get 208! It seem like
    the 208FSB is the next "natural" speed the chipset is designed to run
    optimal?

    KMS, Sep 28, 2003
  7. KMS

    Von Gibbling Guest