NIC causing BSOD

Discussion in 'Abit' started by gqcovermodel, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. gqcovermodel

    gqcovermodel Guest

    System: AN8 SLI, AMD 64 3800, 2 GB Patriot, Geforce 6800 GT 256, 2 PATA
    DVD drives, 40GB PATA HD (boot), 200 GB PATA HD, 200GB SATA HD. Win XP
    SP2 32-bit.

    A few weeks ago I got my first BSOD in years. It happended once and
    then did not happen again for a few days. Now, the computer starts up
    and just after logging in it goes to one of several BS. The ones that I
    remember off of the top of my head are 50, BE, and 8E.

    After much trial and error, it seem that the onboard NIC is the
    culpret. When disabled in BIOS, the system boots and is stable. Just as
    a note, I have swapped out the RAM and had the same problem, so I think
    that it is safe to rule that out. Also passes memtest (though it did
    hang once during memtest)

    The system has the current NForce drivers and BIOS. Windows is fully
    up to date. Passes virus and adware scans.

    I have read on the NVIDIA forum that there might be conflict between
    the SATA controller and the NIC but I have not had a chance to fool
    around with combinations to see if I can find an SATA port that does
    not give this problem. In principle, I do not think that I should have
    to. If I try that and it does work, the board is going to be returned
    or sold.

    Any thoughts or similar experiences?

    gqcovermodel, Feb 2, 2006

  2. gqcovermodel

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Just off hand, one would think such a compatibility issue could be
    fixed in software. Perhaps this is a windows 64 bit problem?

    Also be aware that different NIC cards use different address maps.
    There are basically two incarnations of address maps. Ones that use
    DMA and ones that don't. The more expensive cards use DMA and use a
    much larger address space. Perhaps you are using a card that is using
    DMA?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On 2 Feb 2006 11:06:15 -0800, ""

    - HAL9000, Feb 3, 2006

  3. gqcovermodel

    Mortimer Guest

    I'd suspect a bad driver. Especially the way you are getting a variety
    of error messages. I wouldn't think that it would be a hardware level
    conflict, but a bad driver might do it.

    Mort

    Mortimer, Feb 4, 2006
  4. gqcovermodel

    John Lewis Guest

    You have 2 hard-disks. Disconnect the system-disk.
    Format a system-partition on your SATA disk. Set BIOS to boot first
    from this disk, then CD-ROM ( If you have Partition Magic you can push
    the other partitions on this disk readily around if you need to make
    room for a system-partition. ) Now do a clean-install of the OS and
    drivers. See if the problem repeats. Do not yet add any other
    programs; one of those could be the culprit.

    No point in returning the board without completely eliminating
    software issues first.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 5, 2006