    Can anyone tell me if this would work at all (through the SCSI cable or an
    adaptor) with my new Inspiron 8600.
    Many thanks in advance for any help!

    Larz F. Kremer, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Larz F. Kremer

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Look it up at the Nikon website. There is a whole family
    of Coolscan film scanners. Which one? Expect the connection
    to the computer to be either USB and/or Firewire, depending
    on how "professional" is the Coolscan unit.

    Mistoffolees, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Larz F. Kremer

    Tom Scales Guest

    Uh, perhaps the Coolscan III (read the subject line).

    The Nikons are very 'professional', but the III is fairly old, so it is not
    USB OR Firewire, it is SCSI, as the poster clearly knows.

    Your Inspiron 8600 does not have any kind of a SCSI port, so it won't work
    directly. You can, however, use a PCCard SCSI card and connect. That's
    pricey, though, and I would suggest selling the III and purchasing an LS-50
    or LS-5000 might be a better choice.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 27, 2004
  4. like tom said, the coolscan iii is old and scsi only... i suspect that what
    attracted you to it was a low price, but you don't have to spend a lot to
    get a lot if you get away from the nikon name brand. a much better value
    for a occasional user can be found in minolta scanners. any of the new
    scanners are usb (2.0 but backwards compatible to 1.0, though they of course
    slow down to match). there is a minolta dimage scaner dual iv film/slide
    scanner capable of 3200dpi and only costs about $270. i believe that there
    are some scanner reviews on stevesdigicams.com but the sight is unavailable
    right now... try it later.

    Christopher Muto, Sep 27, 2004