Nintendo Revolution officially renamed Nintendo Wii

Discussion in 'ATI' started by AirRaid, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    just as the Nintendo, SGI 'Project Reality' was named Ultra 64, then
    Nintendo 64....
    just as Nintendo, ArtX/ATI, IBM 'Project Dolphin' was named Nintendo
    Gamecube....
    just as Nintendo Nitro was named Nintendo DS.....
    .......the Nintendo Revolution has been named ----------> Nintendo Wii
    <----------

    http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703502p1.html
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150013
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12535
    http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Nintendo_Confirms_A_Wii_Revolution_9824_0_18.htm
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/04/27/nintendo_revolution_wii_name/
    http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/4/27-58

    "It was revealed today by Nintendo that the Revolution will be
    rechristened the Nintendo Wii. The new name, according to Nintendo, is
    a reflection of their next-gen plans.

    A passage on revolution.nintendo.com goes on to describe why "Wii."
    "Wii," also pronounced as "We," is supposed to represent the openness
    of the system to even the most casual of gamers. The double "i"
    represents the controllers, as well as reiterates the message of a
    system that is inviting to all comers.

    The system itself is both small, stylish, and feature-packed. In the
    sleek package resides a bevy of features, including what was touted as
    "full backwards compatability." Backwards compatability with GameCube
    games is obvious enough, but the much-talked about "Virtual Console"
    makes it possible to go through the libraries of all previous Nintendo
    home consoles and play games throughout the 20 year history of
    Nintendo.

    The Wii's internal memory makes the Virtual Console possible, as the
    512MB flash memory within allows owners to download and play games
    hosted on Nintendo's Virtual Console service. If you start to run out
    of space, a slot for SD cards is also available. For less than the
    price of a game, you could more than double the amount of space to hold
    games and saves.

    And, just like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be wifi enabled out of the
    box. The already popular Nintendo WiFi Connection service will be the
    host for Nintendo online games, serving as an online community without
    fees or difficult setup.

    All told, the Wii looked interesting before, but after seeing the
    message they're now trying to push...well, it just got a whole lot
    better.

    Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii."

    ______________

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148462.html

    Revolution renamed Wii
    [
    UPDATE 3] Nintendo announces the console formerly known as the
    Revolution has a new--and surprising--moniker. Analysts' reactions are
    mixed.
    By Staff, GameSpot
    Posted Apr 27, 2006 9:14 am PT

    In a surprise announcement this morning, Nintendo revealed the new name
    of its forthcoming game system: Wii. "As in 'we'," the official
    statement adds. For the official announcement visit the
    Revolution...err...Wii Web site.

    Nintendo Wii
    Behold! The Revolution renamed!

    After a brief Flash introduction, the site explains Nintendo's move.
    "While the code-name 'Revolution' expressed our direction, Wii
    represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates
    game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch
    with their games ... and each other."

    The site goes on to say that Wii should be easy to remember for people
    around the world, no matter their language, and that it will avoid
    abbreviation. As for the unusual spelling with the lower-case letter
    "i" doubled up is intended to represent "both the unique controllers
    and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting
    that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.

    Nintendo sums up the name change with the following comments. "So
    that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about
    you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

    Game-industry analysts were swift with their responses. "Looks like a
    good solid name for Nintendo," said Michael Gartenberg, vice president
    and research director of Jupiter Research. "The key is making sure they
    follow up with a strong launch campaign to evangelize the new brand and
    help drive the message forward."

    Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his
    assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb,"
    he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name
    Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and
    can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices
    with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names
    seem to do well."

    Colin Sebastian, Lazard Capital Markets' senior research analyst for
    Internet and interactive entertainment, displayed Vulcan-like logic
    responding to the Wii revelation. "The success of the console will have
    much more to do with the quality of the games and the gameplay," he
    said. "Nintendo probably believes they've found a name that can stick
    with consumers. Revolution was catchy, but given similarities with the
    Xbox 360 name, perhaps Nintendo felt they had to make a change."

    ________________

    NOW BEGINS THE FUN OF TRYING TO UNCOVER THE MYSTERY OF WHAT THE
    ATI TECHNOLOGIES 'HOLLYWOOD' GPU, FOR NINTENDO Wii, ACTUALLY IS.

    AN UPGRADED & ENHANCED FLIPPER?

    SOMETHING TOTALLY NEW BUT WITH FLIPPER BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY?

    AirRaid, Apr 27, 2006

  2. AirRaid

    Jonah Falcon Guest

    And that name is Wii-lly stupid.

    Jonah Falcon, Apr 28, 2006

  3. AirRaid

    Xocyll Guest

    "AirRaid" <> looked up from reading the entrails of

    And that's pronounced how?

    Sounds as though it'll be something like "why".

    "Nintendo, why?"

    Oh now there's something to hang an ad campaign on.

    Xocyll

    Xocyll, Apr 28, 2006
  4. AirRaid

    First of One Guest

    Wii -> Weee -> V -> 5? As in the 5th Nintendo system?

    First of One, Apr 28, 2006
  5. "A passage on revolution.nintendo.com goes on to describe why "Wii."
    "Wii," also pronounced as "We," is supposed to represent the openness
    of the system to even the most casual of gamers. The double "i"
    represents the controllers, as well as reiterates the message of a
    system that is inviting to all comers."

    The big problem with the name is it's symbolic. Unless every box is going to
    state the symbolism, no one is going to get it.

    Hank the Rapper, Apr 28, 2006
  6. AirRaid

    Mike B Guest

    lol

    Mike B, Apr 28, 2006
  7. AirRaid

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    The big problem with the name is it was thought up by a marketing wanker who
    spells his name Siimon.

    DRS, Apr 28, 2006
  8. AirRaid

    Carl Guest

    Wii? Because you can't afford an Xbox and are sick of saving up for a PS3*!
    It should be renamed WGAF!!

    * Mythical next gen console......

    Carl, Apr 28, 2006
  9. AirRaid

    Outback Jon Guest

    Now how would THAT be pronounced? Like semen... or Symon?

    Outback Jon, Apr 28, 2006
  10. AirRaid

    Tom Lake Guest

    Wii? Why?

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Apr 28, 2006
  11. I guess it is better than the Nintendo Wii Wii.

    weretable and the undead chairs, Apr 28, 2006