    Since we're still setting up Laptops for the teachers here, we plan on
    getting that finished before we call support. But until then, any
    solutions to the problem are welcome.

    Doc, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Hardware problem, fixed under warranty. You could try bouncing the
    switch at the base of the lid that knows when the cover is closed, but
    it's really not _your_ problem, it's Dell's problem. If you are still
    within the 21(?) day purchase period, tell them you want to send it
    back and get a brand new one in it's place.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 12, 2006

  3. Call support. The backlight inverter has probably failed. It's also
    possible that the backlight lamp has failed or broken (and yes, you can
    break the lamp without necessarily breaking the screen). This could
    become a huge expense (Dell won't replace a bad backlight, they will
    replace the entire LCD screen), it's a brand new unit, don't mess with
    it, it's not your problem it's Dell's.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 13, 2006