No go on the 3TB Raid

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Scales, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    As some may remember, I spent the last few days moving data off of 3TB
    of disk in hopes of recombining them into on 3Tb Raid0 array.

    Dell released the new drivers that purport to support larger arrays, at
    least with Vista (which I installed).

    Well, the project was a failure.

    It turns out Dell released the drivers, but NOT the ROM update. Intel
    doesn't offer it directly, so I am at the mercy of Dell.

    I have no faith they will ever release it.

    So, back to a pair of 1.5Tb arrays.

    The upside is that moving everything off and back did a nice job of
    defragging both arrays. Moving files between the two is light years
    faster than before. It may also have to do with which drives are in
    which array, but I just picked them at random.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 27, 2007

  2. Tom Scales

    Star Guest

    Yes Tom, I have found the moving + deleting + restore to be the
    fastest defrag and does a better job in the end.
    I actually have at times made an image of a partition and then a
    restore. Really quick an efficient.

    Art

    Star, Jun 28, 2007

  3. Tom Scales

    RnR Guest

    Tom, all I can say is I'm glad I don't have to move 3TB of files. I
    shrug shoulders if I have to move 30 gigs which is nothing compared to
    yours. That's a lot of bytes <g>.

    I don't get involved with Raids so right now I'm not too knowledgeable
    about them but I think the day might come where I might get involved
    for own needs. We'll see.

    RnR, Jun 29, 2007
  4. Tom,

    I didn't follow the initial thread, so I'm not sure if you're shooting
    for capacity or performance, but if it's capacity did you look into the
    drobo (http://www.drobo.com/)? I've heard good things about it, but
    it's not truly a RAID solution (it's a like a redundant JBOD), although
    neither is "RAID-0" considering it's not Redundant. With four 1TB
    drives, you get 2.7TB available for data as well as the ability to hot
    swap drives and preserve data (similar to RAID5).

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 29, 2007
  5. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    The word on the HTPC forums that I've read is that the Drobo performance
    is inadequate. I don't recall the details but something about dropouts
    in performance. Pricey too!

    Really I just wanted my Dimension 9200 to do what it should. I can
    always take the two arrays and combine them with XP, but then I have a
    hardware layer AND a software layer.

    TOm

    Tom Scales, Jun 29, 2007
  6. Interesting, their transfer rate listed is about 20MB/s which is a bit
    low but should be adequate for most functions (as long as it doesn't
    drop out).
    Well then why use hardware RAID at all? Just combine the four drives in
    software. I should probably note, I have no clue if Windows supports
    this (but it should, it's a trivial volume manager function). These
    days, the performance hit running RAID at the software level is
    extremely trivial, or you could get a hardware RAID PCI or PCIe card. I
    do agree though, the 9200 should be capable and Dell should get their
    act together and publish the update. Right now I'm a little frustrated
    that the D420 I got from work actually has 2.5GB but only 2GB is usable.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 30, 2007