No go with Chaintech 7NJL6

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by Kappy, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. Kappy

    Kappy Guest

    I am trying to install a Chaintech 7NJL6 with an AMD Athlon 2900+
    (Barton). I have 1 stick of PNY PC2700 DDR RAM.

    It will go through POST and the BIOS screens but will not boot into
    Windows. I have tried the following: motherboard out of case, 3 video
    cards (2 AGP, 1 PCI), 2 different memory modules (all PC 2700), a known
    good psu, different IDE cables, 2 different cd-rom/DVD-rom drives, an
    Athlon 2400+ CPU, multiple jumper settings on the hard disk and other
    things I can't think of right now.

    After physical installation, I tried to boot using the Windows XP SP2
    hard disk which was in the computer with the prior motherboard. The
    computer booted up through the BIOS screens, then there was a split
    second flash of a blue screen and it restarted. It would go in an
    endless loop of this.

    So, I tried an older hard disk with Windows ME. The computer booted up
    with this disk the first time. I then shut the computer down and tried
    the first (XP) disk again. I had the same restarting as before. So, I
    tried the ME disk again and this time it would not boot. It will
    sometimes get as far as the Windows ME splash screen, but mostly I get a
    non-system disk error message. The board goes through this realtech
    boot manager sequence several times before Windows ME starts to try to
    load.

    I tried the Windows XP disk in another computer I am using as a test
    platform and it boots right into Windows. I then decided maybe there
    was a driver problem from the old Motherboard, so I tried to run Windows
    Setup. Setup would start and then hang and not run. I then noticed
    that with my DVD-Rom drive installed on the second IDE channel, the BIOS
    setup utility would lock up. So, I tried using a cdrw drive which
    seemed to work better in that the BIOS setup utility would work.
    However, Windows Setup was still hanging after about 1 minute.

    The problem running Windows setup seemed to me to be a problem with the
    IDE channel. It seemed like it just stopped reading the CD.

    At this point, I can't even get to the point I was at before where
    Windows would try to boot and restart. Now, the computer goes through
    the BIOS screens and just hangs. The Windows XP disk will still boot
    right up on my other computer. All the parts I have tried work
    elsewhere.

    Am I missing something obvious here? I see other people with problems
    with these boards. Should I try to return it and get another model or
    brand?

    Thanks,

    Robert

    Kappy, Aug 15, 2005

  2. Kappy

    don Guest

    Kappywrote:
    I am trying to install a Chaintech 7NJL6 with an AMD Athlon 2900+
    Put fans on both heatsinks on the mobo.

    don, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Kappy

    nthums1 Guest

    Don, How did you put fans on both heatsinks, especially the one tha
    is just taped into place

    It sounds like a definite problem of trying to load drivers from th
    old mobo config
    Double check the jumpers on all drives to make sure they are bein
    recognized properly. As how to rid the old drivers in XP, I have n
    idea. With ME, a start would be boot to safe mode, but beyond tha
    you will probably at least need some utility to edit the registry t
    remove all of the old hardware config before reinstalling the OS an
    letting it configure for the new hardware. Add the MOBO drivers an
    then the rest of the hardware
    Backing up a bit, Ctech told me, and it seemed to work, shut down
    power disconnected, do a BIOS reset. Boot to Bios and choose optimu
    defaults. I then let it boot to the install CD since I was setting
    new drive. On the drive move, which worked pretty well with SE,
    copied the drive from a 98 drive that had the SE cabs copied to it.
    booted to it in safe and deleted everything I could from the devic
    manager. I ran RegCleaner, you might find an old free copy somewhere
    and used the hardware reset feature. I shut down, moved the drive. No
    this was a little trickier for me, because my version of SE it turn
    out will only upgrade 98 and from normal mode. I may have had to ru
    the 98 setup followed as soon as done with the SE setup. Then th
    driver disk for MOBO and then video followed by updates

    nthums1, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Kappy

    nthums1 Guest

    Don, How did you put fans on both heatsinks, especially the one that
    is just taped into place?

    It sounds like a definite problem of trying to load drivers from the
    old mobo config.
    Double check the jumpers on all drives to make sure they are being
    recognized properly. As how to rid the old drivers in XP, I have no
    idea. With ME, a start would be boot to safe mode, but beyond that
    you will probably at least need some utility to edit the registry to
    remove all of the old hardware config before reinstalling the OS and
    letting it configure for the new hardware. Add the MOBO drivers and
    then the rest of the hardware.
    Backing up a bit, Ctech told me, and it seemed to work, shut down,
    power disconnected, do a BIOS reset. Boot to Bios and choose optimum
    defaults. I then let it boot to the install CD since I was setting a
    new drive. On the drive move, which worked pretty well with SE, I
    copied the drive from a 98 drive that had the SE cabs copied to it. I
    booted to it in safe and deleted everything I could from the device
    manager. I ran RegCleaner, you might find an old free copy somewhere,
    and used the hardware reset feature. I shut down, moved the drive. Now
    this was a little trickier for me, because my version of SE it turns
    out will only upgrade 98 and from normal mode. I may have had to run
    the 98 setup followed as soon as done with the SE setup. Then the
    driver disk for MOBO and then video followed by updates.

    nthums1, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Kappy

    nthums1 Guest

    Just remembered that some other files that may need to be deleted if
    trying to use an existing HDD are the OEM*.inf files

    nthums1, Sep 23, 2005