No HDD light from Seagate 120 GB HDD connected via VIA SATA Controller?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ANTant, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello!

    I was told this normal, but I wanted to check with the rest of the world.
    My third HDD (a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ST3120026A; 120 GB; 8 MB
    cache; 7200 RPM) is connected through a refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    (VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2; 1007
    Firmware). The reason it is set up like this is because its onboard
    Promise controller just won't boot up my old Windows XP 100% of the
    times.

    Is there supposed to be lack of no HDD light? If so, then why? I was told
    VIA designed it this way, but I don't know if that is true. Is there a way
    to get a HDD light monitor in Windows XP? I cannot even hear the HDD spin
    when it is in used because the fans are loud. Other two HDDs do light up
    normally, but they are not connected to this controller. FYI, my full
    detailed system specifications can be found at
    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
    machine).

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny." --Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Jan 4, 2006

  2. ANTant

    Anton Ertl Guest

    I have the same board, and the HDD light does not light up when I
    access drives on the second IDE port of the VT8237. I only have a DVD
    and a CD drive on that port, but I don't think that should matter. So
    it looks like this behaviour is coming from the motherboard and/or
    southbridge design.

    - anton

    Anton Ertl, Jan 4, 2006