    how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their rigs. Now?
    Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

    RIP a.c.h.o.

    ~misfit~, May 24, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    Guest Guest

    Nah, the world just got a life. Most of my friends don't even own
    TVs any more.

    Computers are so last century.

    Guest, May 24, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    Augustus Guest

    Two things. One is that a huge number of younger overclockers don't know
    what usenet is and the other is that a vast number of ISP's don't have n/g
    access any more.

    Augustus, May 24, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    PvdG42 Guest

    I'll add another reason. It has become much easier to overclock with modern
    CPU's, motherboards and BIOS'. Less assistance is needed. I also agree that
    usenet is used far less, in general, than the "web forums".

    The ISP's welcome this trend, of course, as it gives them an excuse to
    discontinue the expense of their news servers. I'm grateful that my ISP
    continues to support usenet.

    PvdG42, May 24, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I don't really care what younger overclockers are doing and I don't rely on
    an ISP for usenet access. As it happens my ISP *does* run an NNTP server but
    I also have accounts with a couple of independant providors.

    I was more wondering what happened to the bunch of regulars whose posts I
    used to read here over the past decade or so.

    I suppose that, as PvdG42 mentioned, O/Cing has become more user-friendly
    and less of an esoteric art. No longer are BSEL mods, 'pencil tricks' and
    worries about PCI bus corruption hurdles to be overcome. Also extreme
    cooling is no longer required, my 45nm CPU doesn't get remotely into the
    'danger zone' when overclocked, it just works until it doesn't, temps aren't
    an issue. A big contrast to the days when, often an O/C could be limited by
    the temperature you felt comfortable running your CPU at.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 25, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    Gorby Guest

    Yes! I agree! ISP's do seem to be getting rid of usenet.
    My ISP keeps changing his server address, maybe, hoping we will give up
    on it.
    Pity really!

    And modern motherboards and CPUs are so much easier to overclock. And I
    suspect it is because of the efforts of people like those in this forum.

    Gorby, May 26, 2009
  7. I realize that I'm a lurker, and this is my first post in this NG.

    BUT, O/Cer's need a reliable forum of helpful people.

    I plan to O/C a p5q (ASUS), intel 2.83 quad.

    Reading da web gives me what?

    I'd rather have Paul's opinion, Ed Medlin's opinion, Augustus'
    opinion, and YOUR opinion. And the tons of others opinion posted
    here.

    dewey edwards, May 26, 2009
  8. ~misfit~

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I feel honered to be mentioned and we should remember Phil W. in that
    list......:), especially when talking about "old timers". We are all still
    here and will answer or ask questions as we can. My i7 was so easy that not
    much need be said.

    Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin, May 28, 2009
  9. ~misfit~

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Still here Shaun.........

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 28, 2009
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Good to hear. :)

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2009
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Likewise. Also I remember Spajky (sp?) helping me out quite a bit in the
    days of slockets and when O/Cing involved soldering and /or breaking pins
    off CPUs (and soldering them back on when you (I) broke the wrong one off!).
    Yeah, I figured that must have been the case. I remember a couple of posts
    and got the "more to come" impression but there was no more.

    Mind you, even the 'old' 45nm C2Ds are simple to O/C if you have a mobo that
    has the required settings. You just increase FSB until it's no longer
    stable, then back off. Increasing vcore seems to have a little impact* but
    nowhere near as much as previous generations of CPUs and heat doesn't seem
    to be an issue as long as your case is adequately vented.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2009