    get the taskbar back across both monitors?

    This is an XP system with a GeForce2 GTS AGP card and a GeForce2 MX400
    PCI card.

    HamNCheese, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Hi HamNCheese
    I just downloaded the newest nVidia driver today,
    and noticed the same thing.

    Aaarrggh.

    Is there any word from nVidia on why they made
    this change ?

    There's a thread here [warning: long URL coming up ....]

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...ia+span&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&scoring=d

    that provides a sorta-workaround: you change nVidia display mode
    from dualview to horizontal span. I tried it, but it changes too much
    other stuff.

    Anyone got a better workaround ?

    nVidia: please: bring back taskbar spanning in dualview mode.
    It worked quite well, and was much loved by many of us.

    stan

    Stanley Krute, Dec 3, 2003

  3. In this regard: there is absolutely no mention of this
    change in the driver release notes.

    Stanley Krute, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Googled around, searched the nVidia site some more.
    Found no way around this mess.

    So: thank you Windows XP: I used the System Restore
    function to back off the driver update. I'm now happily
    back with a monitor-spanning taskbar.

    Coupla notes to nVidia:

    [1] Folks who run multiple monitors tend to be
    non-trivial users. Non-trivial users tend to have
    crowded taskbars. Thus, taskbar spanning is
    an important feature. It's a BAD THING to just
    take it away with no word about it. Makes
    users DISTRUST any future driver updates.

    [2] Please bring this feature back.

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Dec 3, 2003
  5. One more recovery detail:

    Windows XP System Restore was imperfect. Although
    I got the spanning taskbar back, certain nVidia functionality
    was hosed -- e.g., right-clicking on the background, then
    selecting nView Properties from the popup menu, resulted
    in ... nothing.

    So I reinstalled the 45.23 (August 8th) drivers.

    All is now back as it was.

    Lovely morning detour.

    Stan

    ps -- here's a snapshot showing the missing functionality's
    checkbox item:

    http://sodamountain.com/aaarghs/nVidia_taskbar_spanning.png

    Stanley Krute, Dec 3, 2003