    I have a laptop, and I'm currently on a program which requires me to use the plus sign on the number pad, I don't want to have to transfer the program to another computer, But I need to be able to use the plus sign of the number pad
    Is there anything I can do? Is there a special key combination I can use? Is there some keyboard model that I can attach and use in replacement of my laptop keyboard? Like a keyboard with a wire that can attach to a port on my laptop

    NOTE: My laptop is a Toshiba, if that's important, and obviously can't use the average keyboard.

    Steve J., Jan 16, 2004

  2. Steve J.

    Chris H. Guest

    I'm not sure what you're talking about. A laptop, correct, not a Tablet PC
    (that's what this newsgroup supports). If you're talking about a standard
    Toshiba laptop, have you looked at the instructions if a dual purpose
    keyboard is in place? Normally, laptops have alternate keys you can use as
    a regular keypad, but they also have the regular numbers across the top of
    the keyboard (under the F keys) which include a single key with = and +, the
    latter reached by using the Shift key.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    the plus sign on the number pad, I don't want to have to transfer the
    program to another computer, But I need to be able to use the plus sign of
    the number pad.
    Is there some keyboard model that I can attach and use in replacement of my
    laptop keyboard? Like a keyboard with a wire that can attach to a port on my
    laptop?
    the average keyboard.

    Chris H., Jan 17, 2004

  3. Steve J.

    Jim Stover Guest

    Hi Steve.

    I have a small USB numeric keypad (IBM) I bought from CompUSA a while back
    (maybe $25.00 - 30.00). I use it for spreadsheets and when I have lots of
    numbers to input (statistical analysis and regression data points, etc.) It
    works great for that, but it is an extra accessory to carry around or store.

    Jim S.

    Jim Stover, Jan 17, 2004
  4. What model Toshiba? Doesn't it have a way to emulate the keypad using
    the Fn key and/or NumLock or some other method? On the Toshiba 3500,
    you press Fn + F11 to activate the keypad emulation(the ones printed
    in gray on the front edge of some of the keys; for example J becomes
    1, L becomes 2. Then press Fn + F11 again to disable it.

    So in your case you press Fn + F11, then press the semicolon key
    (because it's the one with the plus sign in gray on the front edge of
    the key) to simulate keypad plus, then press Fn + F11 again to turn
    off the keypad emulation function.

    FullCount2002, Jan 19, 2004