No onboard and pci-sound at the same time (K8V Deluxe)!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Morten Skyt, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Morten Skyt

    Morten Skyt Guest

    Hello,

    I have been working on this issue ever since I bought my Asus K8V Deluxe
    mainboard. It has the sound chipset AD1980, and it should be great - if it
    just worked!

    First I thought, well, it's just not working, but then I tried the
    InstantMusic-feature that my mainboard has, and when using that, output
    through the AD1980 worked fine.

    And I found the "bug", but I need a cure:
    The problem is that I also have a SoundBlaster Live (PCI) in my computer,
    but when the SoundBlaster Live is plugged in, then Windows no longer detects
    the AC1980 AT ALL - it's like it's not even there - but the moment I take it
    out, it works like a charm.

    I would like both soundscards to work, as I'm holding a party in a few weeks
    and I like to have a soundcard for the headphones and a soundcard for the
    speaker-output (so I can change tracks, just at the right moment).

    Oh, and I have tried updating BIOS - done that 2 times since I bought it and
    I am now running the newest version, but still no cigar.

    Anyone tried this before?

    I'll keep you posted if I find anything about it anywhere....

    Regards
    Morten Skyt

    Morten Skyt, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Morten Skyt

    Paul Guest

    The manual mentions that the AC97 will be disabled, unless a
    load is detected connected to the CODEC chip. Try plugging your
    headset into the output of the AD1980, before you start the
    computer. Make sure the wiring is correct first, by testing
    without the Soundblaster in the system, then plug in the
    Soundblaster, and see if the AC97 is detected while the
    headset is in place.

    Just a guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 21, 2004