no post, no beep...cpu failure?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by dryOtto, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. dryOtto

    dryOtto Guest

    Hi All,

    I just put together an old AMD Athlon 1 Gig chip with a stick of 256DDR ram,
    an old WDC HDD, a new case, and a new Gigabyte GA-7VKMP mobo.

    After about an hour's worth of computing, (installing win2K, service packs,
    browsing, etc) I was setting up a Win2K/RH7.1 dualboot, when I restarted the
    machine.

    Then, nothing. After restart, no post, no beep, nothing. The cpu fan is
    running, the cdrom has power, the hard disk has power, the ram should be
    fine (because if it wasn't, I'd at least get some kind of error on the post
    test, right?).

    I do have one suspect. . . the cpu. I did not use thermal compound when
    seating the chip/heatsink.

    Does this sound like a cpu failure to you all? While snooping around the
    bios, I did observe cpu temps of around 48-53 degrees celsius, which I
    believe are all within reasonable limits, correct?

    thanks,
    Otto

    dryOtto, Jun 29, 2003

  2. dryOtto

    S.Heenan Guest

    Tsk tsk
    Should be fine at 53°C. Get some inexpensive silicon paste and reseat that
    heat sink and fan.

    S.Heenan, Jun 29, 2003

  3. dryOtto

    Wes Newell Guest

    Almost anything will work for thermal transfer. If you have any kind
    of oil based sustance use it with a very thin layer. Even oil off the cars
    dip stick would be better than nothing.

    Wes Newell, Jun 29, 2003
  4. dryOtto

    dryOtto Guest

    Done that. No luck.
    done that. no luck. i have integrated video. no video card. does that
    make a difference?

    dryOtto, Jun 30, 2003
  5. dryOtto

    OldfartJC Guest

    First of all since it doesn't beep and start to post then remove everything
    connected to the motherboard except the CPU and HSF (heat sink fan)
    assembly. Remove the video card, ram, hard drive power and data cables and
    the floppy cables and any other devices you have connected to the
    motherboard. Just turn it on with just the CPU and HSF running and the case
    speaker hooked up to the motherboard. It should give you POST error beeps
    since no memory or video card is installed or keyboard or mouse. If it stays
    up and running then start adding one item at a time starting with keyboard
    and mouse and then the video card so you can see the POST on the display.
    Then just keep adding things 1 at a time till it quits, then you will know
    where the problem is. Also, I've had bad ram cause a no POST condition and
    no error beeps. Make sure the board did not short to the case. Good luck.

    OldfartJC, Jun 30, 2003
  6. dryOtto

    dryOtto Guest

    Yes, I did remove the cmos battery for 2 hours, then reinserted it, booted
    the machine, and still no go.

    Power supply or mobo, eh?

    I'll switch the power supply, and post the results..thanks..

    otto

    dryOtto, Jun 30, 2003
  7. dryOtto

    James Hodson Guest

    Otto

    Abot a week ago my house was zapped by lightening - fortunately, my PC
    was turned of at the time. The next time I booted ... well, it didn't
    boot.

    The problem turned out to be my modem. Merely removing the card sorted
    everything out.

    The modem being to blame was a little strange, IMO, as all my
    telephony is via cable. Also, my BB modem is inside my TV's set top
    box, which was not damaged at all.

    James

    James Hodson, Jun 30, 2003