no Post, no fans, no beeps, green power light A8V Deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by D, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. D

    D Guest

    My system contains,

    --ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939
    CPU.
    --AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor 939
    Pin.
    --ATI RADEON X800 PRO Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP.
    --Cooler Master CM Stacker Full-Tower CASE, Model STC-T01-UW.

    When i turn on the PSU i get a green light on the motherboard, no fans or
    CPU fan or anything. Then i hit the power switch on my case, and get
    nothing. Should i get the CPU fan or PSU fan without hitting the power
    button on the front of my case ? Also, the case power switch wire is white
    and black, but the connectors on the motherboard are orange and white. The
    manual for the motherboard says the connections on the motherboard are color
    coded for "foolproof" connecting. But they dont match the wire colors of my
    case power switch wire. So i tried connecting the power switch wire anyway,
    first black to orange, then white to orange, but the power button seems to
    do nothing. I did have hard drives, CD-rom, floppy all hooked up, but i
    removed them all except the components listed, to troubleshoot why i get no
    POST. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

    D, Dec 4, 2004

  2. D

    Noozer Guest

    When i turn on the PSU i get a green light on the motherboard, no fans or
    This is normal.
    No... you should only get activity AFTER you push the power button. The LED
    is telling you that the mainboard has StandBy power on. Never change
    memory/PCI cards/CPU/etc. when this LED is on.
    Do *NOT* just match wire color to the color on your mainboard. Even if you
    bought them as a pair I doubt that they'd match. You should match the
    funtions together. For switches it doesn't matter which way around they go.
    For the LED's they won't work if they are backwards but should be OK. If you
    put jumpers in the completely wrong locations you could damage the mainboard
    (shorting the wrong things could connect 5volts to ground and kill the
    mainboard or PSU)

    Forget the colours... Connect BOTH wires from the power switch to the two
    pins that your mainboard has for the power switch. If you think the switch
    is bad, try using the wires from the RESET button instead. You can also just
    use a screwdriver to connect the two pins together for a moment to simulate
    the power switch being pushed.

    Noozer, Dec 4, 2004

  3. D

    Ed Guest

    Doesn't matter how the front case power switch is connected, it doesn't
    have polarity like a LED case light, all the Power switch does is short
    the two pins it's connected to for as long as you hold it in, you could
    use the head of a metal screw driver and short the two pins for 1 second
    and do the same.

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 4, 2004
  4. D

    D Guest

    I tried shorting the leads, i get nothing, no fans. A while ago, i did
    actually get it to boot, i dont know how or why, but it acted strangely, it
    came up, gave a few errors about CMOS, it all happened so fast that i was
    unable to read what it said, then it shut down, this happened a few times.
    I unplugged the PSU and took out the battery and did the CMOS jumper on the
    board. Since then i have been unable to get any fans to come on at all.
    Maybe my graphics card is not compatible ? Im just reaching. I just go the
    GPU today, i noticed in the manual that it states "install only 1.5V AGP
    cards on this motherboard! I cant seem to find that spec anywhere. Is the
    card i bought a wrong card maybe ? have i killed my motherboard now ?

    D, Dec 5, 2004
  5. D

    m.marien Guest

    [snip]
    Your video card is OK for your board. Anything 4x and up are 1.5 volts. The
    keys in the slot should prevent installing a card with the wrong voltage. I
    just did the research there yesterday.

    If you're not getting fans with the power switch, there is a problem with
    the power - or board. Try a different PSU. Then try a different board I
    guess. You could remove everything including memory and video and check for
    beeps. But if the fans are not coming on then it's not likely your board
    will get that far in the POST.

    m.marien, Dec 5, 2004
  6. D

    RonK Guest

    Make sure the cmos jumper is in the correct position.

    RonK, Dec 5, 2004
  7. D

    Buba Guest

    I had the same problem with an old Enermax power supply that was running my
    old KT7A-Raid board. The board would have problems starting (fans would
    come on but no POST and the hard drive and CD lights would come on). I
    tried a new power supply and had the same problem so I purchased a A7V880
    board, figuring the board was the problem. Hooked the old power supply to
    the new board and got the green light on the motherboard when I turned the
    power supply on, but hitting the case power button wouldn't do anything.
    Hooked up the new power supply and everything was off and running. I have
    had it up for about a week with a 2700+ and everything has been running
    fine.

    Henry

    Buba, Dec 5, 2004
  8. D

    D Guest

    Yes, it was a bad motherboard, ASUS sent me another one, it all came up fine

    D, Jan 8, 2005