No post on Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N-4M

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Ronald Haugke, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    we have bought a Tyan S2466N-4M Motherboard with 2* CPU AMD 2800 MP
    (Barton Core)
    1024 MB registered Kingston RAM (KVR266x72RC25/1024) and a NVIDIA
    GeForce FX 5700LE.

    Seller says that everything worked fine together. We build up the system
    with a new Seasonic S12II 430W ATX 2.2 power supply and started the
    system. No beeps on speaker, a blank video screen and only working
    CPU-fans and the keyboard lights flashed on short.

    RAM, CPU's, power supply and video card were tested with another board
    (CPU's as single and not dual) an worked fine.

    So we tested the Tiger MPX (all components worked fine on other boards)
    - with only one MP 2800+
    - only one XP 1600+ (on CPU socket 1 and 2)
    - with a Matrox G450 16MB AGP video card
    - a S3 2MB PCI video card
    - one or two Micron MT36VDDT12872G-265C2 PC2100-25330-Z, 1GB
    DDR,266Mhz,Cl2,5, ECC
    - a new 400W and a new 500W ATX power supply

    We tested only with CPU, with CPU and RAM (both without video card): no
    beeps on speaker.

    We bought a second Tyan S2466N-4M Motherboard and tested. The same
    result as with the secon one: no beeps, no screen, only short
    keyboard-flash and running CPU fans.

    The Tiger MPX starts runnig automatically when the power supply is
    switched on, without pushing the power-switch which is connected on the
    board.

    Is this a known bug?
    What could we done wrong?

    Regards,
    R. Haugke

    Ronald Haugke, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Ronald Haugke

    Bruce Burden Guest

    :
    : we have bought a Tyan S2466N-4M Motherboard with 2* CPU AMD 2800 MP
    :
    : We bought a second Tyan S2466N-4M Motherboard and tested. The same
    : result as with the secon one: no beeps, no screen, only short
    : keyboard-flash and running CPU fans.
    :
    Have you connected a molex connector to the video card to
    provide +5 +12 volts to the card?

    Do you have the 20(8?) and 6(?) pin power connectors connected?
    :
    : The Tiger MPX starts runnig automatically when the power supply is
    : switched on, without pushing the power-switch which is connected on the
    : board.
    :
    Sounds like the BIOS was set to restore the state to the
    last state, which was power on.

    How long are you waiting for the console to "do something"?
    It can take several minutes for a Tyan to POST, and then "do
    something", and it may NOT be set to display the results, simply
    to boot.

    Do you have a PS/2 keyboard? It is possible that the USB was
    disabled in BIOS if you are using USB keyboards, although I would
    think that is unlikely with two mobos.

    Also, examine the main connector - I burned the P/S connector
    by NOT connecting the molex connector to the board, although this
    did not happen overnight.

    Bruce

    Bruce Burden, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Is eventually the battery bad?

    I have seen this behaviour with Abit and Tyan boards, when there was a
    bad battery...

    Kind regards,
    Herwig

    Herwig Bauernfeind, Nov 3, 2007
  4. hi ,

    i guess that it would start with the right powersupply . followed the
    manual instructions ?

    i have about the same combo ( with matching ps ) running here and it is
    rockstable !

    Ronald Haugke says...

    wolfgang schneider, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Ronald Haugke

    midol Guest

    Is the speaker known to be good? polarity on connection for speaker
    and power on switch?

    midol, Nov 4, 2007
  6. Ronald Haugke

    abovill Guest

    If you have ECC enabled in the bios, it WILL take up to 2 minutes to
    post.
    scared the hell out of me the first time :)

    abovill, Nov 4, 2007
  7. Ronald Haugke

    Ruud Broers Guest

    Hi Ronald,

    Did you finally get your board to run?
    I have a board here with the very same problem.

    Regards,
    Ruud

    Ruud Broers, Nov 5, 2007
  8. Hello,

    one Board now runs with the two MP 2800+. Why not the days before - I
    don't know ... :-(

    The 2nd one does not post with the two 2800+. We made a cmos-reset so
    ecc-checking should be disabled.

    about the questions:
    - there is no molex-connector on video-card
    - I waited 5min for post
    - a PS2-Keyboard
    - battery is OK
    - power-supply is OK, tested both with 550W
    Now 2nd board is running with the 430W
    - speaker is good

    Regards,
    Ronald

    Ronald Haugke, Nov 5, 2007
  9. Ronald Haugke

    Bruce Burden Guest

    :
    : one Board now runs with the two MP 2800+. Why not the days before - I
    : don't know ... :-(
    :
    Okay, so have you swapped CPUs, and if so, does it always
    work with one CPU?

    Do you have a valid memory configuration, with memory in
    both sets of CPU memory slots? (I seem to remember that there
    are twined slots, and both sets need memory in them).

    Given that, is the BIOS set up to accept two CPUs?

    Bruce

    Bruce Burden, Nov 6, 2007
  10. Ronald Haugke

    Ruud Broers Guest

    Hi,

    Finally found out that my S2466 board has LinuxBIOS flashed into the
    EEPROM. This is without VGA support, so a VGA monitor hooked up will
    stay blank.
    However, via COM1, you can monitor the Boot progress at 115200 BAUD.

    Thanks,
    Ruud

    Ruud Broers, Nov 10, 2007