No Post Problem GA-965P-DQ6

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Lance Boyle, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. Lance Boyle

    Lance Boyle Guest

    I can't get this damn thing to post at all:

    GA-965P-DQ6 Bios version: UNK
    Intel E6300
    2GB DDR2 - Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4
    Enermax Noisetaker II 485 Watt PS
    Video Card - GIGA-BYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 7600 GT
    Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler

    OK So the fans spin briefly then stop, then start again and run, but
    there is no post, no beeps or video at all

    I have RMA'ed the MB and CPU and get the same result with the new MB
    and CPU. I tried a 256MB stick off RAM right off their compatible
    memory list - Kingston KVR533D2N4/256 256MB and that doesn't work
    either. The IC's were Samsung not Elpida though:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-965p-dq6.pdf

    Anyway, Corsair swears up and down their memory is compatible. I'm
    going to find a cheapo PCI Express Video Card somewhere & see if the
    video card is dead, but it seems like I ought to be getting bios beep
    code for bad memory card (?). I have tried running the MB out of the
    case, using 1 stick of the corsair at a time, running with no memory,
    and with no video card, tried a different PC speaker, two other power
    supplies, and I don't get any post codes at all. Any suggestions? This
    is wearin' me down.

    Thanks for any help

    Lance Boyle, Oct 14, 2006

  2. Lance Boyle

    Jack Spencer Guest

    I found this troubleshooting guide very helpful:

    1 Nothing but the power supply, CPU,installed on the motherboard, plug
    your power cord in and turn power on.
    2 You should hear a series of long beeps & all your fans should be turning.
    3 The board is looking for memory.
    4 That tells you your 'board, CPU & power supply are working.
    5 Unplug power cord (very important an ATX power supply always has power
    to it when the cord is pluged in).
    6 Install 1 stick of RAM in the first bank, it should be marked either 0
    or 1
    7 Plug your power cord in and turn your power on.
    8 You should get 1 long and 3 short beeps. It will be looking for the
    video card.
    9 That tells you your PS/'board/CPU/RAM are working.
    10 Unplug power cord.
    11 Install your video card and plug your monitor into your video card.
    12 Plug your power cord in turn your power on.
    13 You should get a power up test which is 1 short beep.
    14 You should see your CPU/RAM/video reconized on the screen.
    15 You will get a disk boot failure because you have no drives
    installed. In this case every thing you have installed is working.
    16 Shut machine down and unplug power cord.
    17 Install all your drives, set your BIOS up and install your operating
    system.

    Be sure the case speaker is good and is plugged into the mobo.

    Jack Spencer, Oct 14, 2006

  3. Lance Boyle

    Lance Boyle Guest

    I don't get any beeps at all with just the CPU and PS. I tested the
    speaker by plugging it into another computer and it works. The tech
    rep at Corsair told me that I won't necessarily get beeps unless I
    also have working RAM and a working video card. I'm not sure if he's
    FOS or what. Can anyone tell me DQ6 bios will give beep signal if the
    video card and/or RAM is missing?

    Lance Boyle, Oct 14, 2006
  4. Lance Boyle

    Lance Boyle Guest

    Alright, I just found out that I'm a dork. I didn't have the ATX12v
    power connector plugged in. Doh. Nevermind.

    Lance Boyle, Oct 14, 2006
  5. You might not get any beeps without any RAM. But you should get beeps
    without video (if you have at least some functional RAM and everything
    else is working). While the instructions from Jack Spencer were good, I
    usually start with CPU, motherboard, RAM and Video (no drives or other
    cards).

    In your case, however, I do suspect something else is wrong. Hard to
    say what without being there.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 14, 2006
  6. Lance Boyle

    persona Guest

    I had the same problem with Corsair XMS2 800 ... -6400
    which was, ah, rather costly, so eventually I used the
    RAM from another computer and it booted fine.

    It needs to be flashed with the lasted BIOS, I'm using
    F5, everything's alright here now.

    Good luck.

    PS. Was it on sale?

    persona, Oct 18, 2006