    stuff) that I know works. So, is it really the CPU? How accurate are
    those diagnostic LED's? Did I get a bad CPU or is there something
    else that I'm not trying? Thanks in advance everyone!!

    Don Tulloch, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Don Tulloch

    Stogie Guest

    This particular motherboard is notorious for this problem.
    There are four possible solutions that I know of -- none of them
    involve an improperly installed CPU.

    1. Make sure your reset button isn't stuck. Disconnect it from the
    motherboard and try to boot up.

    2. You forgot to plug the auxiliary power connector to the MB.
    This four pin connector must be plugged in.

    3. Your power supply is bad. This motherboard is very finicky
    when it comes to power supplies. I use an Antec 480W
    true power.

    4. You suffer from what I like to call "power strip syndrome".
    (Don't ask)
    For reasons unknown, this motherboard doesn't like to boot
    after you turn the power on at the power strip.
    Like most people, when I finish working on the internals of
    a computer, I flip the switch on the power strip and immediately
    attempt to boot the computer to see if it works. This motherboard
    hates this. I don't know why.
    I sent a motherboard (I thought it was defective) back to
    Newegg.com for a replacement. The replacement motherboard
    suffered from the same problem. However, I found out that if
    you plug it in and wait a few minutes, the computer will boot
    right up. This happens every time I unplug the power cord.
    Generally I plug it in and attempt to boot. I get the four red
    lights of doom and the computer refuses to boot.
    I shut the computer off and wait a few minutes and try it again.
    It usually boots right up. I have no idea why this works.

    Hope this helps.

    Craig

    Just built a system today and I can't get my new system to post. It's
    a MSI K8T Neo, A64 3000+ retail, Evga 6800 GT, 1GB Crucial memory, WD
    Raptor hard drive. The motherboard came with a diagnostic attachment
    to plug into the USB on the motherboard and it has 4 LED's on it to
    troubleshoot problems. Well, it has four lights lit up which
    supposedly means faulty or misinstalled CPU. Well, it's not
    misinstalled as I've reinstalled it a couple times and it fits
    perfectly and has good contact with the heatsink/thermal pad. I've
    also tried different memory (albeit Crucial as well, but old pc2100

    Stogie, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Don Tulloch

    Don Tulloch Guest

    Thanks for the help! It actually turned out to be that I had my reset
    switch hooked up on the wrong slot on my motherboard. Odd that would make
    my system not post though, nonethless, thanks for pointing me in the right
    direction. One other question-when I use the liveupdate it tries to
    download the newest BIOS for the K8T-Neo FISR. Is this backwards compatible
    with the K8T Neo-do they use the same BIOS? Thanks!

    Don Tulloch, Sep 13, 2004
  4. I'm glad to hear (I suppose) that this is a known problem. I built a system
    and it was fine for a day or two. Then it suddenly refused to post. I
    learned myself that if you wait some five or ten minutes after cutting the
    power, it will post again, but usually the post freezes. There might be
    something to do with the cmos. After I cleared it through the jumper, the
    system has been on good behavior. I note your point number 3 regarding the
    PS. I am using an Enermax 360W. I have a 3000+ CPU, one CD-RW, one DVD-R,
    one Maxtor 160 ATA. The VGA is a simple, non-power-hungry GeForce4 MMX. No
    overclocking of anything. No turbo settings. Do you think that the 360 is
    good enough?

    John McDonnell, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Don Tulloch

    Stogie Guest

    Glad to know I'm not alone.
    If my computer sits unused for a few days, the computer won't
    boot. Sometimes it can't find the BIOS, sometimes it can't find
    the hard drives. In each case the fix is the same. Shut the computer
    off and turn it back on. It never fails to boot up on the second
    attempt.

    Based on your hardware configuration, a 360W PS should be
    adequate. I've ran a computer that powerful on a 300W PS.
    Of course, I must admit that I was taxing the PS to it's limits and
    probably a bit beyond. I'm using a 480W because my computer is
    a gaming rig and it's a hardware pig. Also I'm a bit paranoid and often
    have difficulty believing that any PS can ever be big enough.

    One trick you can try. Go over to:
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/index.htm
    They have a nifty tool for determining how big a power supply you need.

    Craig

    Stogie, Sep 28, 2004
  6. More information -

    After a day or two of good behavior, the bootup problems returned. I
    researched a lot and found a posting with a link to an AMD statement that
    the original 754 CPU was released while the latest memory spec was PC2700.
    It added that some brands of PC3200 work on some 754 motherboards, and
    hinted that support for this was something between you and your mainboard
    provider. Acting on a hunch, I throttled the memory speed down to DDR333.
    After three days it still starts cleanly every time.

    One other strange behavior - the LAN controller often would not initialize
    even when the system itself booted up OK otherwise. This quirk has also
    been absent ever since I locked down the memory speed.

    Janice McDonnell, Oct 5, 2004