    unlike the E700 that I have, this laptop won't go into either standby
    or hibernation when I close the lid. Does anybody know how to fix this
    situation? Thanks.

    Aries, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Aries

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Right click on the desktop and select 'properties'. Select the 'Screen
    Saver' Tab, and then click the 'Power Button', and then the 'Advanced' tab.
    There should be a drop down box along the lines of "When I close the lid of
    my computer" and the drop down conntains the options. Hibernation is only
    available if it is enabled on the 'Hibernate' tab.

    M.I.5¾, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Aries

    Aries Guest

    Yeah, well, I had looked for that first and that's not there. It has no
    provisions at all all for closing the lid.

    A-

    Aries, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Aries

    Frank Berger Guest

    Yeah, well, I had looked for that first and that's not there. It has no
    provisions at all all for closing the lid.

    A-

    You won't have this problem with that ancient machine, but be aware that
    hibernate mode doesn't work, at least reliably, when you have more than 1GB
    of memory. I forget the details, but some bug in XP, I think. My IBM X41
    with 2 GB of memory won't hibernate at all. Standby works fine.

    Frank Berger, Sep 14, 2006
  5. Aries

    Frank Berger Guest

    Yeah, well, I had looked for that first and that's not there. It has no
    provisions at all all for closing the lid.

    A-

    I meant T41 not X41.

    Frank Berger, Sep 14, 2006
  6. Aries

    Aries Guest

    That's okay: I use Windows 2000 and I'm not about to change to XP any
    time before Hell freezes over. :)

    A-

    Aries, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Aries

    BillW50 Guest

    I said that too when I was running Windows 3.1 when most were running
    Windows 95. So I end up being dragged along kicking and screaming. And I
    was very happy running Windows 2000 for this past 4 years now. But last
    month I jumped on the Windows XP bandwagon. Man is the streaming videos
    and DVD smooth on the same machines that had Windows 2000 on them. I
    should have done that 4 years ago. LOL

    BillW50, Sep 17, 2006
  8. Aries

    Aries Guest

    Hi, Bill;

    We have different priorities. I upgraded from Windows NT because I
    loved the *stability* of the OS, and had so few problems; I couldn't
    care less about video games or videos or attaching cameras and other
    plug & play gizmos that everybody wanted to run so smoothly.

    So now I hear everybody bitching about how this doesn't work with XP
    and that doesn't work, or the system stalls out, or any number of
    problems that I don't get with Win2k, which is built upon my beloved
    NT. So unless Microsoft does something bloody dirty like withdrawing
    all support from Win2k, I am going to stick with it.

    A-

    Aries, Sep 17, 2006
  9. Aries

    Inquirer Guest

    You realize, don't you, that that it is not a question of _when_ MS
    will do that but rather _when_.

    Inquirer, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Aries

    BillW50 Guest

    Why does people believe you have to stop using something when support
    drops off? I never use support for anything anyway.

    BillW50, Sep 18, 2006