    excluding some items from my CrashPlan offsite backup. After a longish
    period of time, that process stopped running and normal sleep came back,
    but after a restart the process is again running and preventing sleep.

    Daniel Cohen, Dec 31, 2013

  2. This sounds like a bug. Have you looked at the Apple Support and
    Developer forums? If you have an Apple Developer ID, look at the bug
    database and maybe it's already been reported to engineering.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 1, 2014

  3. Daniel Cohen

    J Burns Guest

    I don't know how CrashPlan works, but I wonder if it could be a vicious
    cycle between Spotlight and a CrashPlan folder in the Library. Putting
    that folder in Privacy in Spotlight Preferences might stop it.

    J Burns, Jan 1, 2014
  4. Daniel Cohen

    David Empson Guest

    The general population of developers (whether at the free level or a
    paid member of one of the developer programmes) does not have read
    access to Apple's bug reporting database. We can see bugs that we
    reported, but no others.

    If Apple closes a bug report as a duplicate, they reference the existing
    bug number, but we have no access to that bug (if it was reported by
    someone else) so can't see the details.

    It is an irritating system if you aren't the first reporter of a bug.

    David Empson, Jan 1, 2014
  5. Daniel Cohen

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    That's my thought. But I was hoping someone might know how I could
    discover which folder is being affected.

    <http://www.decohen.com>
    The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives
    book and e-book <http://www.decohen.com/labyrinth>
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address, not the From address.

    Daniel Cohen, Jan 1, 2014
  6. Daniel Cohen

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Essentially that just says what I have already posted, nothing more
    specific. But anyway here's the output

    Assertion status system-wide:
    BackgroundTask 1
    PreventDiskIdle 0
    ApplePushServiceTask 0
    UserIsActive 0
    PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
    InteractivePushServiceTask 0
    PreventSystemSleep 0
    ExternalMedia 1
    PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
    NetworkClientActive 0
    Listed by owning process:
    pid 16(powerd): [0x000000090000012c] 38:53:20 ExternalMedia named:
    "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted"
    pid 11(UserEventAgent): [0x0000000c000003bd] 35:15:17 BackgroundTask
    named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.maintenance"
    Kernel Assertions: 0x104=USB,MAGICWAKE
    id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/1970 01:09 description=EHC2
    owner=AppleUSBEHCI
    id=502 level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/1970 01:12 description=UHC1
    owner=AppleUSBUHCI
    id=507 level=255 0x100=MAGICWAKE mod=01/01/2014 11:30
    description=en0 owner=en0

    Daniel Cohen, Jan 1, 2014
  7. Daniel Cohen

    billy Guest

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/open-radar-using-social-networking-to-squash-apple-bugs/

    | Open Radar: using social networking to squash Apple bugs
    |
    | This weekend Open Radar introduced open source bug tracking for
    | Apple software ...
    |
    | by Erica Sadun - Nov 16, 2008 11:16 pm UTC
    |
    | It's always great when you see developers take matters into their
    | own hands and turn ideas into something new and real. This weekend,
    | developer Dave Dribin tweeted that he'd love to see a public rdar
    | database. Rdar, better known as Radar, is Apple's internal bug
    | reporting and tracking system. A big problem with Radar is that
    | it is not publicly searchable or open in any other way. This
    | frustrates developers who want to know if Apple is working on a
    | particular bug and see what the status of those bugs might be.
    |
    | http://openradar.appspot.com/faq

    Even if it shows up here, I'd suggest reporting it anyway, if
    only to add to the number of people complaining about it -

    http://bugreport.apple.com/

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jan 1, 2014
  8. Daniel Cohen

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Tried it and I didn't think it helped. Will try again.

    Daniel Cohen, Jan 1, 2014
  9. Daniel Cohen

    J Burns Guest

    J Burns, Jan 1, 2014
  10. Daniel Cohen

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    I would still have to work out what needs doing, as I certainly want to
    use Crashplan. Useful to have this info anyway. Thanks.

    At the moment things are Ok, after various juggling with Spotlight
    privacy. Some of what I did must be overkill, and it would be nice to
    get to the bottom of the problem and only exclude what I have to.

    I added ALL my hard drives in the Privacy setting, including the Time
    Machine drive snf my boot drive. Then restarted, removed Privacy from
    the boot drive, but added both /Library and ~/Library to Privacy.

    I am hoping that will solve it permanently. We'll see.

    Daniel Cohen, Jan 2, 2014