    working fine prior to the weekend.

    I upgraded the BIOS for the A7A266, but that hasn't worked.

    Any suggestions?

    beechmere2000, Feb 7, 2006

  2. beechmere2000, Feb 7, 2006

  3. beechmere2000

    tomcas Guest

    Load the drivers for the mobo and/or the sound card, which ever one you
    decide on. You will probably have to also chose/enable this choice in bios.

    tomcas, Feb 7, 2006
  4. beechmere2000

    tomcas Guest

    It can't hurt. Basically, just uninstall the drivers and reinstall them
    preferably from either the manufacturer of the sound card (if that's
    the one you choose) or from the mobo manufacturer. As the MS article
    says be sure to direct the reinstall to the drivers you DL and not the
    one MS says is the best fit.

    tomcas, Feb 7, 2006
  5. I tried installing the new driver, but it didn't work. Should I have
    removed all the existing devices first? Another attempt tonight.....

    beechmere2000, Feb 8, 2006
  6. beechmere2000

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    After you upgraded the BIOS, did you check to make sure the on-board sound
    was still enabled in the BIOS?

    R. J. Salvi, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Latest The Device Manager shows the sound card to be working!
    When I go into Windows Media Player, and run an mp3 file, the pretty
    patterns start moving on the display, and the scrolling time bar shows
    movement. But no sounds from the speakers!

    So the next step is to test the speakers, and check the speaker plug is
    connected to the correct jack on the motherboard's sound card
    faceplate.

    If that doesn't work, I may buy a cheap sound card and install it. I
    have a spare slot or two.

    I haven't checked to see if the BIOS on-board sound was enabled - I'll
    do that first.

    beechmere2000, Feb 9, 2006
  8. beechmere2000

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    If it's showing up in Device Manager, it's enabled in the BIOS. Usually, the
    speakers are plugged into the light green jack on the sound card/on-board.

    R. J. Salvi, Feb 9, 2006
  9. beechmere2000

    No-one Guest

    `Make sure nothing is ticked as "Mute" in the volume controls
    settings. You may have to go into the advanced volume properties to
    tick devices so that the controls for them show. If all is ok there,
    then the speaker plug is likely in the wromg socket :))

    Best of luck

    No-one, Feb 10, 2006