NO sound on Dimension 4100, 98se, and Soundblaster Live

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Anthony, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    I did a format and install of Win98se on a Dimension 4100 for a friend, he
    wanted to get rid of Win ME (the big fat pig).

    I am trying to install the drivers for the Soundblaster card (CT4780) but
    with no luck. I have tried all the drivers at the Dell site and Sound
    Blaster Site, but still cant get any sound to come out of the sound card.

    I have tried and audio cd and sound pipes ok through the sound card, but
    nothing else.

    Also, when I did the format and install of 98se besides the drivers for the
    Audio Device not being installed there was also something like PCI Input
    Controller that did not install. When I installed the drivers I though
    would work for the sound card, the uninstalled Audio Device and PCI Input
    Controller did disappear. Not sure if that has something to do with the
    problem.

    I did install the Motherboard INF drivers right after the istall of 98se.

    HELP, this is driving me NUTZ!!!!

    Regards,
    Anthony

    Anthony, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Anthony

    Tom Scales Guest

    I had real problems getting the sound of a dell of the same vintage to work
    with Win98.

    The ONLY drivers that worked were the ones on the CD delivered with the
    machine. Nothing from the Dell website and nothing from Soundblaster worked.
    Nothing!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Anthony

    PC-Gladiator Guest

    Does the system have a modem in it and is it being recognized?

    PC-Gladiator, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    I found a "work around" which was using the Win95 drivers off one of the SB
    disk that Dell/SB provided. Now I am trying to install a SMC NIC, and
    getting all sorts of strange results.

    I had the sound and mondem working, and put in the NIC. Then Win98
    installed the NIC, but not working, and then removes the modem and tries to
    install it as a NIC.

    Damn computer. I was thinking of buying a couple of Dells after the first
    of the year, but if this is the crap they put in there systems, no f-ing
    way.

    Regards
    Anthony

    Anthony, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Anthony

    WSZsr Guest

    Sounds like the "user" is the problem, not the computer. The computer is a
    "dumb" instrument. Garbage in - garbage out.

    WSZsr, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Anthony

    Tom Scales Guest

    The 4100 is pretty much generic off-the-shelf parts. Not sure why you're
    having so many problems, other than Win98 itself.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Anthony

    Glenn Jarvis Guest

    Shouldn't be any problem there either. My GX110 has gone through some
    changes since I picked the beast up. Just personal choice from over the
    years. It's running 98SE, and I have changed a few pieces such as the
    sound card (since that was the main focus of this thread). It came with
    a Asound Express II (Acer). I have a personal opinion of this brand that
    I will keep to myself. So I picked up a Sound Blaster Live CT4830 and
    installed it with no problems. When I put 98SE in, everything was
    detected and installed, although some corrections were needed. What can
    you do is the way I looked at it. Didn't take long and the beast has
    been purring like a kitten ever since. (More ram, additional drive,etc).
    Just have to add wings... <g>.

    Glenn Jarvis, Dec 23, 2003