no sound : via ac'97 audio controller (wdm) + ga-7vkml mobo

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by didds, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. didds

    didds Guest

    got a chum with a problem.

    Has a TIME (UK) PC - Time are nbow bust so there is no
    warranty/helpdesk etc etc etc.

    Several problems recently encountered and allegedly resolved BUT latest
    is there is no sound (it used to work a while ago).

    When I first looked the PC was complaining that there were no drivers
    installed for a "audio controller" so I deleted/uninstalled the yellow
    questioin mask in the hardware list in control panel - system and
    rebooted. At reboot I was prompted to install the drivers fro some
    found hardware (audio controller) and I let windows XP do its thing -
    and it allegedly installed via ac'97 audio controller(wdm). The sounds
    config bit of comtrol panel has this device set as the sound playback
    device... sound is not muted etc etc etc. In short everything LOOKS
    fine... but there is just NO sound!

    I have booted the PC from a knoppix (linux) CD and the sound works fine
    under that, so I can only thus summise that the hardware and bios etc
    is fine BUT the config or driver of whatever in XP is
    shafted/confused/totally misconfigured.

    Anybody any ideas?

    TIA!

    Ian