No sound

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by calabash30, Jan 7, 2009.

  1. calabash30

    calabash30 Guest

    I've been almost a month without sound on my computer. It started in
    December when I moved my computer and installed a second CD-Rom drive.
    Up to this point everything was working perfectly. I have Windows XP
    SP2. My soundcard is a SoundBlaster Live! card. I got some help from
    a tech support site last month, and we tried pretty much everything
    before finally coming to the conclusion that the card was bad. I've
    since purchased a brand new (NOS) SoundBlaster Live! audio card which
    I installed over the weekend. I still can't get any sound from my
    computer! I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the latest
    driver AND patch several times to no avail. I've also tried moving
    the
    card to a different slot, but nothing seems to be working. What's
    more, when I activate my onboard audio through bios IT isn't producing
    any sound either (my mobo is a Gigabyte M61P-S3). I've gone to "Device
    Manager" and checked the
    "properties" for my hardware and drivers and it says that everything
    is working properly. Here's the message that pops up when I enable or
    disable my Soundblaster card:
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/totalrod2/Deviceinstallererror-1.png?t=1231193031
    I'm at my wits end. What else could be causing my computer to not have
    any sound?
    Bryan

    calabash30, Jan 7, 2009

  2. calabash30

    Paul Guest

    "windows could not load the installer for MEDIA"

    I tried a few searches, without finding a definitive root cause.
    I see references to Windows Installer, and also to "driver signing".
    Most people who have "fixed" this, did something major like a
    repair install or adding a Service Pack they haven't already installed.
    I wasn't able to find a fix that involved something more minor.

    The real question would be, what broke in the first place. It
    sounds like something would have to be corrupted for that
    to happen. A second question would be, if one driver is
    affected (for sound), why aren't other drivers affected ?
    In all the search results I looked at, nobody got into
    such a mess that the computer would not boot or the
    screen not render. Which suggests that whatever software
    path is being used, doesn't affect all drivers, but only
    the user installed (optional) ones. Perhaps it is a Windows
    Installer issue. Does every driver rely on Windows Installer ? I
    thought it might handle cases where there is a .msi
    file in the package.

    I couldn't find a real answer, and repair installing is
    a pretty extreme solution, if it would work at all.

    I expect doing a System Restore to a date before the problem
    showed up, might fix it, but that would also reverse a lot
    of stuff you've done since then (like having to
    reinstall some Windows Update stuff again, reinstall
    any programs added in the last month and so on). And
    that relies on a System Restore point still being
    available that far back.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 7, 2009