Noise from mainboard

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Portland Pete, May 11, 2009.

  1. I have an older MSI 865PE Neo2-LS mainboard, about 5 1/2 years
    installed. About 2 years ago, I carelessly let it overheat, causing
    the need to have the power supply and video card replaced. Earlier
    this year, consistent boot problems required replacement of the hard
    drive, CPU, and CD-ROM before they were corrected (probably related to
    the earlier overheating).
    Now I am experiencing an annoying whirring noise, which seems to vary
    in pitch and intensity. Suspecting the case fans, I oiled them both
    to no effect. The vibration seems to be coming from a device mounted
    in the middle of the board with an aluminum grill-like cover with the
    MSI logo and a power cord plugged into the mainboard, and a number of
    colored sparkly lights observable within. I'd like to know what this
    device does and whether it can just be unplugged. I'd appreciate any
    Portland Pete
    Portland Pete, May 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. Portland Pete

    Paul Guest

    This could be your board here.

    In this closeup picture, the thing in the center is the chipset fan
    and cooler. Sometimes, that fan needs oil too. If it is a
    standard size, then another 40mm fan could be fitted to take
    its place. But the fan has an RPM sensor wire (it is a three pin
    fan), so you'd want something similar to take its place.

    For example, you could take the fan off this thing, and fit it to
    your Northbridge heatsink. Your NBFAN header runs at 12V, so a
    12V 40mm fan would be a possible replacement.

    Paul, May 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. Thanks so much! That surely does appear to be the device; I've
    ordered the thing from NewEgg and we'll see how it does...
    Portland Pete
    Portland Pete, May 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.