    device does and whether it can just be unplugged. I'd appreciate any
    enlightenment....
    Portland Pete

    Portland Pete, May 11, 2009

  2. Portland Pete

    Paul Guest

    This could be your board here.

    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=543#

    In this closeup picture, the thing in the center is the chipset fan
    and cooler. Sometimes, that fan needs oil too. If it is a
    standard size, then another 40mm fan could be fitted to take
    its place. But the fan has an RPM sensor wire (it is a three pin
    fan), so you'd want something similar to take its place.

    http://www.msi.com/uploads/prod_4f16260882746b1c29900b5e4e22e800.jpg

    For example, you could take the fan off this thing, and fit it to
    your Northbridge heatsink. Your NBFAN header runs at 12V, so a
    12V 40mm fan would be a possible replacement.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103155

    Paul

    Paul, May 11, 2009

  3. Thanks so much! That surely does appear to be the device; I've
    ordered the thing from NewEgg and we'll see how it does...
    Portland Pete

    Portland Pete, May 11, 2009