noise noise please go away!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by 7xchamp, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. 7xchamp

    7xchamp Guest

    This is on a Dimension 4600, ATI AIW 9000, 60gig Deskstar, Winxp.

    Well, it seems nobody on earth, (even Dell) cannot find the solution (or
    what is causing it) to stop
    that annoying 5-6 sec whirring/screeching/cats tail getting pulled sound.
    I've disconnected the fan, it still did it. It's not the video card fan
    either. I've had 3 hd's replaced (thinking 1st that was it) from Dell, and
    that didn't help. I even asked for a different model, (nope). I watch when
    it makes the sound, and the HD light doesn't blink. It seems like it is
    getting worse, it used to be 5-6 sec's randomly every 10 min or so, but
    now, it's going repeatdly every random 4-5 minutes at a crack. I've even
    tried turning off DMA in the bios. Adjusted the performance settings.

    Is this a problem, that I know Dell knows about, and they don't want to fix?
    I'd recall something. I see posts all the time about this noise. I've
    never had a computer, my previous Dell's, make this sound. My wife laughs
    at me, cause I got this big new computer, (hers is an old 8100), and it
    sounds like a stuck pig, you can hear it half way across the room.

    Does Anybody out there have a fix, or a remedy? Could it be the power
    supply fan? Is it just because I have 2 Hd's connected? I give up/fed up.
    I really don't want to call ishmal again at Dell and go through all the dumb
    tests that I've already done umpteen times already.

    Please anybody? If you can get this fixed, I will forever be calling you a
    GENIUS.

    Chris

    7xchamp, Jan 21, 2004

  2. 7xchamp

    John Miller Guest

    Most definitely could be the power supply fan, and it was the first thing I
    thought of when I read your description.

    --
    John Miller
    My email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

    Some people say a front-engine car handles best. Some people say a
    rear-engine car handles best. I say a rented car handles best.
    -P.J. O'Rourke

    John Miller, Jan 21, 2004

  3. 7xchamp

    Mike Marquis Guest

    Next time it makes this noise, stick something narrow like a Q-tip stick
    between the PS fan blades and see if it stops. If it does, it's the PS
    fan. Don't leave it in there any longer than needed to see if the noise
    stops.

    Mike

    Mike Marquis, Jan 21, 2004
  4. 7xchamp

    Markeau Guest

    Your description sounds like a fan bearing going out. There are
    multiple fans (ie, power supply, on top of the cpu, etc).

    Markeau, Jan 21, 2004
  5. 7xchamp

    7xchamp Guest

    Is there a fan on top of the cpu for this computer? All I see is a big eat
    sink.... The power supply is something I could try.... It's not gonna shred
    the q-tip all to hell is it? The only thing is, is timing, it doesn't last
    very long, and by the time would be able to reach around and stick the q-tip
    in, it'll probably be done. I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys. I'll keep
    ya posted on what happens.

    Chris

    7xchamp, Jan 22, 2004
  6. 7xchamp

    John Miller Guest

    No. Just do it gently. The fan is blowing out, not sucking in, so it'll be
    pushing the q-tip, not trying to eat it.
    Over the past 10 years or so, I've replaced about five power supply fans in
    computers I've been responsible for. I *might* have replaced a CPU fan.
    In any case, pay a nickel (or dollar) more and get a ball bearing fan, and
    it should outlast the computer.

    For those who are terminally cheap and/or broke, the sleeve bearing fans can
    be disassembled and lubricated, but I don't recommend it.

    John Miller, Jan 22, 2004
  7. 7xchamp

    Clark Guest

    Do you have in your CD-ROM?

    Clark

    Clark, Jan 22, 2004
  8. 7xchamp

    Clark Guest

    Oh, and just in case, does your video card have a fan?

    Clark

    Clark, Jan 22, 2004
  9. 7xchamp

    Buck Rogers Guest

    Buck Rogers, Jan 22, 2004
  10. 7xchamp

    Madonna Guest

    Easiest is to run it with the case open and sit the computer on the desk
    next to your keyboard and monitor,
    you'll be able to identify which component it is in no time.

    In case it's the CD drive, there's a Nero utility to slow down those 48X-52X
    drives to a more reasonable speed.
    Those very high speeds can make an unbalanced or cracked disk rattle and
    break.

    Madonna, Jan 23, 2004
  11. 7xchamp

    7xchamp Guest

    Well I did some more diagnostics yesterday, and so far, it seems it has
    something to do with
    the way the HD's are mounted into the chassis. I have 2 HD's, disconnected
    the slave, and just ran with the master, sitting on the Outside of the unit.
    (it didn't make a sound for the longest time.). Ok, reconnected the 2nd
    drive, still not mounted in the chassis, let them sit, and no sound for the
    longest time. Then after awhile, one of them must have bumped the side
    frame, and I heard the noise a little bit. So I'm wondering if dell should
    have mounted these drives with rubber washers or something. So now, I just
    have the 2 drives sitting in the unit, (not screwed down), basically just
    laying in there vertically. The noise has subsided quite a bit, but it
    still comes back here and there. So I think I'm on the right track.

    Chris

    7xchamp, Jan 23, 2004
  12. i had the same noise in my 4600. i switched drives from my second computer
    and the noise went away. musta been something with the drive area. made me
    happy.

    Mark A Stewart, Jan 24, 2004
  13. 7xchamp

    Madonna Guest

    Some drives can be set to 'quiet mode'.
    The performance will go down a little bit, but the noise will go down a lot.
    Check the website of the manufacturer.

    Madonna, Jan 26, 2004